Why become a member? ×

Ever bought gear you regretted buying?

snorkie635

16 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

My first bass was one of those, waaaay back in 1995; it cost me £115 and I loved it.  However, as I knew nothing about gear at all, I would, wouldn't it?!  I found out the body was plywood and started to go off it.  I ended up covering it in paint and stickers and making it heavier by adding a belt of about 50 7.62mm dummy rounds to the strap and adding a home-made humbucker mounted on velcro under the strings.

I picked one up as my daughters first bass a couple of weeks ago.

She did her research and knew exactly what she wanted - a red one

Sounds and plays pretty well for a 35 year old piece of plywood.

Stickers and bullet belt strap sounds very on brand for my daughter........

IMG-20230916-WA0003.jpeg

• Like 4

Bought a HB fretless violin bass, thought it would be cool and get me a DB ish sound, apart from picking up round the house and playing a couple of Buble songs, never really used it and it just sits there covered in dust, doesn't really improve the sound when plugged in, maybe a set of Pyramid Golds would improve things..

57 minutes ago, godathunder said:

I picked one up as my daughters first bass a couple of weeks ago.

She did her research and knew exactly what she wanted - a red one

Sounds and plays pretty well for a 35 year old piece of plywood.

Stickers and bullet belt strap sounds very on brand for my daughter........

IMG-20230916-WA0003.jpeg

That's a lot posher than mine - in so many ways!  If she opts for the bullet belt, make sure she points the rounds downwards; I made the mistake of pointing them upwards and they poked me relentlessly in the side of the neck.  In true teenage rock-god-wannabe style I scorned the suggestion that correcting that might be a good idea.

• Haha 2

While generally I go with the learning experience aspect, there was one piece of gear I regretted buying. It was a Trace Elliot 4x10 combo. As is the case with all TE gear, it was made of depleted uranium, and the first gig I played with it was at a social club up two flights of stairs with no lift.

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

While generally I go with the learning experience aspect, there was one piece of gear I regretted buying. It was a Trace Elliot 4x10 combo. As is the case with all TE gear, it was made of depleted uranium, and the first gig I played with it was at a social club up two flights of stairs with no lift.

That's not an amp problem, that's a lack of roadies problem...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

That's not an amp problem, that's a lack of roadies problem...

I did also regret that despite the rather meh tone I got from it, I still bought another TE amp (not a combo this time) after selling it.

I've bought more and more gear in my search for "that sound"

Every time I think i'm sorted, I then see something else and GAS creeps back in. 

I even decided to go rack mount a while ago and have never used it out of the house..... 

I can't bear to sell any of it either. Don't get me wrong, its mostly all "middle of the road" or secondhand kit, but i've got it squirrelled away all over the place. 

And don't get me started on the cabs that i've built! There's at least 10 cabs in the loft at the mo with more in the spare bedroom, garage and shed. 

I have issues that's for sure..... 😂 I'm even hovering over a "buy now" button today for a pre amp I really don't need..... but it'll scratch an itch for a while...

Does Bassplayers With Excessive Kit Issues Anonymous exist? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I feel your pain. We rented a Hammond C3 and two Ampeg fridges, and met your flights of stairs. Never again.

I too generally agree with the learning aspect, and that was exactly why I bought all or most ofmy gear - - with a plan to become "learned and experienced" and then stand left with one bass (plus a spare cricket bat) and one amp (plus a tiny spare) and two cabs.
However, some gear doesn't give one the learning, or the learning comes too expensively.

Always been a sucker for Gibson shortscale basses.

First one I bought (locally) was a late '60s EB-0 which had had a terrible refinish in matt maroon emulsion, but it was a Gibson. I took it to a local dealer to hang on his walls after I bought a slotted headstock EB-3; that was the one I shouldn't have bought. I then had an idea regarding the EB-0; I'll get it back with another refinish in mind. Back to Lancaster whereupon the dealer proudly said he'd got some money for me, merde. Colour was to have been 'Thunderburst', a sort of Silverburst variant.

It's all part of the GAS; The EB-3 went after I got a '67 EB-3- narrower neck then a '62 -3, supposedly a one-previous-owner which I didn't have time to enquire about as time was running out to get back to Euston for my train back yam. Both these need to move on since I acquired my '65 in Pelham Blue (thank you Dave, hope all your cats are doing ok. By the way would you be interested in that red Thunderbird '76'? Also have a Medallion Firebird from a late musician).

Don't start me on my six-string collection.

Roger 

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

May I borrow your DM's and The Gat?

Absolutely, though I was going to suggest a 1796 patt light cavalry sabre, a bloke I knew got his ear sliced in half with one of those.. It wasn't me that did it, honest.. though I did stab a French bloke in the hand with one once (whilst fighting on horseback y'know) 🔪

Actually, back to the original question..

Yes, a Hartke HA3500 amp, it was utter piece of shlt and couldn't get a decent sound out of it. 

I had a load of gigs coming up and ongoing so thought I could do with a "decent" amp & just grabbed one of the above, brand new, from GAK as I recall, purely as an easy option, so I thought. 

Did a whole bunch of gigs and put up with it for a bit, but in the end gladly got shot of it and replaced with an old Peavey which was brilliant, shudda just got something like that in the first place. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GlamBass74 said:

Does Bassplayers With Excessive Kit Issues Anonymous exist? 

Given that you call yourself "GlamBass74", I would say that Basschat is probably close enough for your purposes. The 12-Step programme here is very forgiving, too.

• Haha 1

After enjoying a string of Ibanez RGs in the 6-string world, I bought an Ibanez SR905 once - one of the more premium of the MIK offerings - which although was a great looker and was nicely put together, I could never coax a sound I liked out of the Bartolini MK1 + preamp they put in there. That, and the super narrow string spacing, I didn't get on much with it.