Why become a member? ×

Gig bag recommendations

Richard Jinman

Hi, need to replace my DB bag as the zips are detaching from the material. I understand Soundwear are the top dog, but putting my circa £1k bass in an £800 bag isn’t right (for me). Has anyone got a recommendation at the £200-£300 mark? There’s so many choices out there. I don’t want wheels or a trolley, just the best combination of protection and weight for the buck. My bass is a large 3/4 btw. Thanks R

Just now, Richard Jinman said:

Hi, need to replace my DB bag as the zips are detaching from the material. I understand Soundwear are the top dog, but putting my circa £1k bass in an £800 bag isn’t right (for me). Has anyone got a recommendation at the £200-£300 mark? There’s so many choices out there. I don’t want wheels or a trolley, just the best combination of protection and weight for the buck. My bass is a large 3/4 btw. Thanks R

… and if anyone wants to sell me their old bag I’d be interested.

I recently bought a Roth & Junius BSB06 which I'm very happy with.  Quality is great and it fits my large ¾ perfectly.

It replaced my Christopher bag, which is still going strong after 10 years, apart from the anchor point for the back straps.  Zips and everything else is fine - you're welcome to it if you want it.

42 minutes ago, TheRev said:

I recently bought a Roth & Junius BSB06 which I'm very happy with.  Quality is great and it fits my large ¾ perfectly.

It replaced my Christopher bag, which is still going strong after 10 years, apart from the anchor point for the back straps.  Zips and everything else is fine - you're welcome to it if you want it.

I forgot to message about this didn’t I? Sorry.

All good if Richard needs it, otherwise I’ll grab it. Back to normal here now.

2 hours ago, TheRev said:

I think I might go with a BSB06… thanks for the offer of the Christopher… I’ll let Burns Bass have that. Best R

I've got one of these and it's excellent - well made with decent padding and pockets plus loads of handles which makes it easy to get it in and out of cars etc

https://www.gear4music.ie/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Westbury-Deluxe-Padded-3-4-Double-Bass-Gig-Bag-with-Wheels/1MBI?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-confirmation&utm_content=ord-line&utm_source=txn-email

(It's got wheels as well.....)

Edited by tinyd

My Roth and Junius bag, bought for £90 or so a few years back (not sure of model or reference number) is now falling to bits at a fair rate, starting with the handles coming off at inconvenient times. So won't be buying one of theirs again...

3 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

My Roth and Junius bag, bought for £90 or so a few years back (not sure of model or reference number) is now falling to bits at a fair rate, starting with the handles coming off at inconvenient times. So won't be buying one of theirs again...

For what it's worth, I've had my Westbury for 6 years and there are no obvious signs of it coming apart anywhere. Can't guarantee anything, but might be worth taking into account @Richard Jinman

• Like 1

I have 2. A Westbury and a Hidersine.  I've got to say that the Hidersine is the one I use all the time.  The padding is more or less the same in both. The more expensive Westbury looks slightly more rugged, but all the straps and handles are in the wrong places.  The cheap Hidersine bag has been yanked from one gig to the next for about 5 years and seems to be surviving ok.  And any minor damage to the instrument has always happened due to my own carelessness once the instrument is outside the bag.

• Like 1

Call David at Bassbags.co.uk.   They have been supplying bass bags for decades  I have one from them and it's ... just perfect.   Sturdy, well padded, lots of carrying handles (which are in the right places for me!)

this one I think; but they have other options

https://www.bassbags.co.uk/product/westbury-double-bass-bag-11mm-padding/

Edited by NickA

29 minutes ago, NickA said:

Call David at Bassbags.co.uk.   They have been supplying bass bags for decades  I have one from them and it's ... just perfect.   Sturdy, well padded, lots of carrying handles (which are in the right places for me!)

By a stroke of luck this is exactly what I’m getting from another basschatter 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2023 at 20:52, NickA said:

I just visited that very emporium today, on the way to tonight's gig East of Nottingham. 

Spoke to them a couple of times on the phone,  and you know how some businesses sound like they'd actually like you to visit? Well, that. Great advice from start to finish,  and they had exactly what I was looking for out ready to try. 

As I walked in with bass in old (15-20 years) gigbag, David said "How long have you had that? We made it!" Brilliant.

Got the Gewa 4/4 as it ticks all the boxes. If I get a similar lifespan out of it to the old one, I'll be well chuffed. 

Heartily recommend both the bag and the shop.

https://www.bassbags.co.uk/product/gewa-pure-bs-25-double-bass-gig-bag/

Edited by hubrad
  • Like 3

I've not been to the new "shop" yet...sad that they left Derby; glad they did you alright. 

Never go there without time to spare as I always end up chatting..and usually buying stuff!  My gig bag, bow, rosin, strings, end pin and pickup are all from there 😂.

• Like 1

I haven't had any need to take my NXT out as of yet (but feel that time might be coming).  I saw a suggestion elsewhere about buying a 'deluxe fishing rod bag'. 

Intrigued, I found this on Amazon:

81Izc-3enhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg+

Honestly wondering whether this would be up to light use (I'd probably need to wrap the bass in something).

On 07/10/2023 at 20:52, NickA said:

T&G Martin sell one with their name on which looks pretty much identical to that (I'd guess that it is the same one). I have got one, and it has been very reliable; the many handles are useful .

• 3 weeks later...