Why become a member? ×

NAD: Ampeg V4B

BassAdder60

Arrived today from Andertons and it’s just as amazing as I remember when I got one a while back.

EQ is so simple but works ( easier than my old CTM100)

The depth to the notes is something to behold.. now I recall why I like all valve heads… they just sound glorious 

Pbass straight in, pick played rock it just works .. perfect match.

Its heavy but so is my SVT212AV cab !!

Will be at rehearsals tomorrow ready for first gig with it Saturday 🤟

IMG_4918.thumb.jpeg.4b6f00b997fb0ebc00211bf3b2950471.jpeg

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I wish I were still able to cart about gear like this as when I used one of these it was amazingly good.

I agree they are equally amazing as they are heavy ! But this should be my last amp purchase !! This will stay put and even after I stop gigging it will be my home rig. Beautiful valve sound and that perfect Ampeg tone that works for rock 

At 63 I’m still fit and able as a big guy to carry heavy stuff from van to venue etc. 

Its worth it for sure 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Thats my kind of EQ - simple to set and forget. I can't do the weight (so I have the just-over-30-pounds Handbox WB valve amp) but I bet that sounds glorious!

Yep .. it really has a lovely sound .. hard to describe but it’s definitely got that something special 

I love my v4b, I also have the matching 212. I’m thinking of getting a 2nd one but seem to get more than enough volume from the single 212 in my stupidly loud rock band! I used to have the Ashdown CTM300 and that was amazing but agree that the EQ was a bit of a pain

• Like 1

On 02/10/2023 at 16:31, BassAdder60 said:

I don’t thinks there’s much left out there that I wish to try now. Until something new is launched 😂

Please don't stop buying amps. I think our tastes are quite similar and my wife/accountant is grateful you try before I buy... you're doing God's work mate!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

I looked into the 7027 output tubes this amp uses. I was gobsmacked just how much they are going for. This is in North America. I hope you can find a better price when the need arrises for replacements. 

I think the new ones have different power tubes today. I don’t think they are 7027 but 6L6 which are around £35 per tube in the U.K. 

Edited by BassAdder60

22 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I think the new ones have different power tubes today. I don’t think they are 7027 but 6L6 which are around £35 per tube in the U.K. 

Just to correct for accuracy the tube is a 6L6GC the letters after the number are important.

6L6 was a small metal clad tube used in low power often Single Ended power circuits.

6L6G was essentially the same tube but with a glass bottle.

6L6GB was an an updated version with more Plate dissipation. The 5881 is in this sub group.

6L6GC is the latest version of the tube able to produce up to 50W odd per pair in fixed bias.

I believe that the 7027 is a more powerful version of the 8L6GC. It's also able to handle a higher plate voltage.

I would mention that every schematic I have seen of the V4 series amps are using the 7027.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just to correct for accuracy the tube is a 6L6GC the letters after the number are important.

6L6 was a small metal clad tube used in low power often Single Ended power circuits.

6L6G was essentially the same tube but with a glass bottle.

6L6GB was an an updated version with more Plate dissipation. The 5881 is in this sub group.

6L6GC is the latest version of the tube able to produce up to 50W odd per pair in fixed bias.

I believe that the 7027 is a more powerful version of the 8L6GC. It's also able to handle a higher plate voltage.

I would mention that every schematic I have seen of the V4 series amps are using the 7027.

Thanks for that info Paul , mine is 2 years old now , I don’t know much about the technical side and the manual says these are in my one

Preamp: Tube (2 x 12AX7) 
Driver Tubes: (1 x 12AX7, 1 x 12AU7) 
Power Amp: (4 x 6L6GC) 
RMS Power Handling: 100 Watts RMS
Speaker Outputs: 1 x 8 ohm, 2 x 4 ohm, 2 x 2 ohm

• Like 1

I was looking through my copy of Jack Darr's Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook. Bathroom reading y'know! :) It has vintage schematics and more up to date amps. It's interesting and fun to see how the older guys designed amps. It even has designs run directly from the mains, no power transformer! Yikes!!!

It is an education seeing how they tried to get more power. Some designs use two output transformers and two output stages connected together to drive one speaker load. It shows the original schematic for the mighty SVT with its power tubes with an anode/plate top cap. I'd forgotten about that version. LOL