Why become a member? ×

Reliced basses - what's the attraction?

Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' post='481851' date='May 7 2009, 12:36 PM']I just don't get it.

Why would someone want to pay through the nose for an artificially beaten up bass?

Someone please explain the attraction.

Thanks[/quote]

I'm with you on this one quite frankly. I'm amazed.

I'm also amazed at those guys who wear their jeans round their knees as some weird fashion statement, so what do I know about anything :)

I would have thought the appeal came from the fact that it's an accessible way to owning a 'vintage style' instrument.

Far easier and more affordable to buy a reliced bass than it is to buy a real vintage instrument. Of course, it's not the same, but an acceptable compromise for many people.

I don't think it's necessarily about fashion (although for some it may be), but more about coming close to owning something that would otherwise be out of reach.

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='481876' date='May 7 2009, 12:55 PM']I would have thought the appeal came from the fact that it's an accessible way to owning a 'vintage style' instrument.

Far easier and more affordable to buy a reliced bass than it is to buy a real vintage instrument. Of course, it's not the same, but an acceptable compromise for many people.

I don't think it's necessarily about fashion (although for some it may be), but more about coming close to owning something that would otherwise be out of reach.[/quote]

Bingo.

A lot of antique (or vintage, or what have you) instruments are beat up. Some people like that kind of rough, heavily-used aesthetic but don't have the means to buy a quality piece of gear that's old enough to have suffered the kind of abuse. And they wouldn't feel comfortable taking some tools and acid to their own gear, so they'd even pay extra for someone else to create the look for them.

Not for me, but each to their own. I don't like figured maple tops, they look too flashy to me. But some people will pay hundreds extra for one.

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='481876' date='May 7 2009, 12:55 PM']I would have thought the appeal came from the fact that it's an accessible way to owning a 'vintage style' instrument.

I don't think it's necessarily about fashion (although for some it may be), but more about coming close to owning something that would otherwise be out of reach.[/quote]

+1 to this.
I can only dream of owning a '51 - '56 P bass, but a Custom Shop Relic is probably the only way I could get even close.

I agree that it's a personal thing and that, as far as it goes, is all fine and dandy.

BUT personally I think it's cheating and a cop-out.
If you want one so badly, save up and buy one.

It's like: I have a Civic Type-R, which is lots of fun. There are people on forums with Civic Sports that they have done up to be "Type-Rs". If you want one badly enough to spend the money making something look like it, save up the the money to buy the real thing.

To my mind Reliced instruments are the designer ripped jeans of the music world.

If I were being completely picky though, I would say one thing:

Good relics feel different from new instruments. Most instrumentists would agree that older instruments have a "played-in" feel that new instruments don't, and a good relic will have something close to that kind of feel. The Fender roadworn tele, for instance, I tried it out and it had an "old friend" feel to it that the new US tele didn't.

I still wouldn't own one, but that's worth considering.

As others have said it's all down to taste.

Personally I don't like the worn/battered look whether it's real or fake. To me it doesn't look 'old' it looks neglected or a cheap finish that hasn't been able to stand up to simple playing use.

I have a second hand Gus G3 that I bought last year in a very worn condition, refinished by Simon Farmer; and when money allows I'll also get my early 80s Overwater fretless restored back to it's new condition, because I want it to look as beautiful as it plays and sounds.

[quote name='neepheid' post='481942' date='May 7 2009, 01:31 PM']I'm not going to inflict my views on everyone, all I will say is that I do not want a reliced instrument in the same way I don't want a reliced car.[/quote]

Ahh man! Really?

I offer a car relicing service. For a mere £300 I'll crack your windshield, slash your tires, key your bonnet, put superglue in your door locks, jam a banana up the exhaust and spraypaint a crude penis on the roof. It'll look exactly like you'd left it parked on a sink estate overnight!

[quote name='jonthebass' post='481885' date='May 7 2009, 12:58 PM']+1 to this.
I can only dream of owning a '51 - '56 P bass, but a Custom Shop Relic is probably the only way I could get even close.[/quote]

But, but, but.... it's *not* a '51 - '56 P bass!!! It's a 2009 P bass where someone has given it a good going over with the wire wool and diet coke (or whatever they do). AND... charged you extra for damaging it. Mystified - sorry :)

I don't think it is a replacement for genuine vintage. At least not in my case.

I like the [i]look[/i] of a beaten up old/vintage bass. I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to pay through the nose to get one though. I am also a bedroom player so there is very little chance of a bass wearing to that degree. Contradictory to that, I am clumsy bugger so a nice new shiny finish probably won't stay dink free for long.

And to play devils advocate, why is liking a relic bass so different to liking a design from 62 or 75? A lot of us like retro. some of us like relic too.

And one more thing, the fire surround in my front room was custom made for me from reclaimed pine. It's full of holes, cracks and there is hardly a straight edge in site...but it looks cool.

Paul.

To my mind the reliced basses do not show 'natural' signs of wear though - they just look like they've been bashed about or attacked with brillo pads or the like....

My JV bass is aging nicely - it's an 83 and is showing signs of wear but not in the places a modern reliced bass is 'worn'.

If it's to replicate the look of truly aged vintage basses then surely they'd be damaging the finish in the appropriate places?

[quote name='paul h' post='481997' date='May 7 2009, 02:07 PM']I don't think it is a replacement for genuine vintage. At least not in my case.

I like the [i]look[/i] of a beaten up old/vintage bass. I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to pay through the nose to get one though. I am also a bedroom player so there is very little chance of a bass wearing to that degree. Contradictory to that, I am clumsy bugger so a nice new shiny finish probably won't stay dink free for long.

And to play devils advocate, why is liking a relic bass so different to liking a design from 62 or 75? A lot of us like retro. some of us like relic too.

[b]And one more thing, the fire surround in my front room was custom made for me from reclaimed pine. It's full of holes, cracks and there is hardly a straight edge in site...but it looks cool.[/b]

Paul.[/quote]
Yes but that's different.
And also I agree with you in that there is no difference EXCEPT for the fact that a 62 or 75 bass IS from 62 or 75.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='481922' date='May 7 2009, 01:20 PM']I agree that it's a personal thing and that, as far as it goes, is all fine and dandy.

BUT personally I think it's cheating and a cop-out.
[b]If you want one so badly, save up and buy one[/b].

It's like: I have a Civic Type-R, which is lots of fun. There are people on forums with Civic Sports that they have done up to be "Type-Rs". If you want one badly enough to spend the money making something look like it, save up the the money to buy the real thing.

To my mind Reliced instruments are the designer ripped jeans of the music world.[/quote]

It's worth bearing in mind that it's a compromise - a reliced instrument is never the same as a real vintage.

Saving up and buying the real thing is easier said than done...that's before you get onto problems of sourcing exactly the type of instrument you want, confirming it's originality and so on.

Of course, the best way to get that type of instrument is to buy it new and gig it hard for the next 30 years...I can't currently afford a vintage instrument, or a relic, so I'll take this approach instead! :)

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='482021' date='May 7 2009, 02:28 PM']It's worth bearing in mind that it's a compromise - a reliced instrument is never the same as a real vintage.

Saving up and buying the real thing is easier said than done...that's before you get onto problems of sourcing exactly the type of instrument you want, confirming it's originality and so on.

Of course, the best way to get that type of instrument is to buy it new and gig it hard for the next 30 years...I can't currently afford a vintage instrument, or a relic, so I'll take this approach instead! :)[/quote]
LOL.
Yeah I know it's easier said than done.
I couldn't live with the idea that I had something that wasn't what it looked like...