Why become a member? ×

Genesis

Cliff Edge

BBC2 last evening showed an Old Grey Whistle Test concert by Genesis, fronted by Phil Collins. I confess I know little of their catalogue so I’m probably not the best judge.  But it was fu#&%ing awful. It may have been the BBC’s sound mix at fault, or possibly Collins himself but I couldn’t understand most of the lyrics and overall it was just a god awful barrage of noise. 
Just my tuppence worth. 

Edited by Cliff Edge

This one? 

I suspect they may have had trouble dealing with 2 drumkits. I've always thought Genesis suffered with not having a dedicated bass player. 2 guitarists who took it in turns playing bass. Plus a load of keyboards. 

Their recorded material is much better. Depends which phase of Genesis you like.

Peter Gabriel

Phil Collins pre 1980/83

Phil Collins post 1980/83

It started going a bit different around Duke and ABACAB. 

Quick precis of Collins recently from what I gathered from various sources online.

He fell off a drum riser around 2009 and had back and neck problems which lead to him turning to alcohol and pain killers. Later (too late) he was diagnosed with a broken neck but the alcohol and painkillers have damaged his liver and pancreas, together with a drop foot from the damaged neck, he has diabetes, depression and an inability to perform or enjoy performing. 

Very sad. 

• Sad 3

The Whistle Test / Lyceum gig is a treasured bit or archive footage amongst fans of the band. Granted it's not A1 quality, but if you found it to be a 'god awful barrage of noise' I suspect it's just not your thing.

Rutherford is an underrated bass player. Unfortunately for the last few albums he pretty much phoned the bass parts in.

It wasn't the best mix I've heard of a Genesis show... It wasn't even the best performance, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "fu#&%ing awful".

There are many better examples of Genesis live on YT: "When in Rome" is a good example.

I don't know if you're familiar with Genesis material, but I can imagine the OGW show would sound a little messy to those unfamiliar with their music.

For my money the Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos muddly is one of the best finalès to a show Ive ever seen/heard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

The Whistle Test / Lyceum gig is a treasured bit or archive footage amongst fans of the band. Granted it's not A1 quality, but if you found it to be a 'god awful barrage of noise' I suspect it's just not your thing.

Rutherford is an underrated bass player. Unfortunately for the last few albums he pretty much phoned the bass parts in.

Ok I’m obviously not a dedicated fan, and totally unfamiliar with anything I heard. That would have coloured my reaction. I suppose like a lot of these recorded concerts, you had to be there to fully appreciate it. I try to make a point of watching bands and artists I’ve never listened to in the past, just in case I missed something I might have liked. 

2 hours ago, TimR said:

Quick precis of Collins recently from what I gathered from various sources online.

He fell off a drum riser around 2009 and had back and neck problems which lead to him turning to alcohol and pain killers. Later (too late) he was diagnosed with a broken neck but the alcohol and painkillers have damaged his liver and pancreas, together with a drop foot from the damaged neck, he has diabetes, depression and an inability to perform or enjoy performing. 

Very sad. 

I realise that the accident was late in his career, and should have been dealt with better / sooner, but what an awful end to his career.

21 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

it was fu#&%ing awful. It may have been the BBC’s sound mix at fault, or possibly Collins himself but I couldn’t understand most of the lyrics and overall it was just a god awful barrage of noise

Are you sure you weren't accidentally watching the Jesus and Mary Chain's Old Grey Whistle Test performance?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9f3oRzz8lbk

• Like 1

I remember watching that Lyceum OGWT show the night it was first broadcast. It was timed to coincide with the release of the Duke album. A new Genesis LP was a big deal in those days.

To me that live sound mix sounds just fine. Any congestion is probably symptomatic of Genesis trying to cram their live show into a relatively modest venue like the Lyceum. The band seem energised and the playing is top notch, as you would expect from musicians of that calibre.

I am a casual Genesis fan, but I think Duke is a superb piece of work. The songs are really innovative and unusual but within an accessible mainstream rock/pop format. No mean feat. Turn It On Again is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned. One of my all-time favourite tracks.