Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton's acoustic Waterstone

TheGreek

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The last paragraph is very specific - "For the last 10 years I have used A waterstone bass live every night on the number one hit START"

I saw from the jam in 2015, I took photos, sure enough he is playing a waterstone semi acoustic bass on start - its white.

Yep, that was my thinking.  Obviously he got 'this' bass from Waterstone or their distributor but the wording doesn't say that he ever played 'this bass' live.  I also have recollections of him playing a white one when I've seen him with From The Jam.  

I contacted the seller :

Me:

Just to be clear - is this a bass that was owned and played by Bruce Foxton? Accepted that he does play a Waterstones bass but all the photos I can find are of him playing a WHITE one.
Obviously with many would be buyers the attraction on this item is that it was once owned and played by BF. Just making sure before placing a bid.

stenew8773:

Hi / thanks for your message- I purchased it a couple of years ago and that’s how it was sold to me and obviously when I met the seller he specifically confirmed he had bought it form I believe Peter Barton who I believe is the booking agent / manager of from the jam - he provided the COA
To be fair I took him at face value
I would not under any circumstances want to mislead anyone at all
It might be worth checking directly with Peter Barton who I believe is in barnoldswick as to it provenance - I didn’t buy it from him I bought from a guy who lived in Rawtenstall
I hope that helps

Thanks for the prompt reply - obviously, as I stated, potential buyers won't be buying this for the bass itself - it will be because of the provenance. I've sent a few messages/ emails out to see what I can establish about this bass before making a bid.
I can't find any images of BF using a red Waterstone - only white. I've sent a message to Pete Barton and Waterstones.
I'll send you everything that I can find out - hopefully it will strengthen the credibility of your ad.

New message from: stenew8773 (30)

Thankyou - obviously if it’s not real I will mortified
I think I will suspend the ad until I hear back from you

The ad has been pulled. I have also sent an email to Pete Barton (Management) and Guy Helliker (Bruce PR agent) who is in Vietnam currently. Waiting for them to get back to me.

Edited by TheGreek

Fair does that the item is pulled by the seller but with that response I'd be inclined to even doubt the COA!  :/  

Hold the page...

Penny just dropped that the guy involved in this is Pete Barton, I'd not trust him as far as I could throw him (and yes I know I've put it here in black and white).  I made a purchase on ebay a couple of years ago from him (TKS cab) and he tried to pull a stunt on me; long/short paypal refunded me but he was an absolute con man.  In fact my tale of woe may well be documented on BC and I believe at the time, he registered on here.  I'd need to check but I seem to recall several people contacted me re. him and he apparently left a few people with a sour taste and he was a d*ck (their words).  

• Like 1

Message from Guy Hellier:

Definitely one if Bruce's later basses. He had an endorsement with them for a few years and they even did a signature limited edition target one. 

Obviously, this is from his FTJ time but definitely a very nice piece for a collector.

Happy bidding!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Message from Guy Hellier:

Definitely one if Bruce's later basses. He had an endorsement with them for a few years and they even did a signature limited edition target one. 

Obviously, this is from his FTJ time but definitely a very nice piece for a collector.

Happy bidding!

Good work @TheGreek

• Thanks 1