Why become a member? ×

Anyone want to build this for me?

Duroc17

14 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Have you not thought about just doing it yourself?

If you want a Fender Jazz bass in a specific natural finish; (many) parts are readily/easily available online, including wired control plates if you're not confident with a soldering iron.  It's really not difficult!

I have done but I’m not good with soldering as I have really shaky hands (due to thyroid condition) also I want the aged body look but again dying wood grain isn’t my forte. So I’d rather pay someone who’s already good at these things as I’m not confident I’d make myself a good bass from scratch.  The only ‘build’ I’ve done is take the bits I liked from two basses but soldering is a challenge for me 

35 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

I have done but I’m not good with soldering as I have really shaky hands (due to thyroid condition) also I want the aged body look but again dying wood grain isn’t my forte. So I’d rather pay someone who’s already good at these things as I’m not confident I’d make myself a good bass from scratch.  The only ‘build’ I’ve done is take the bits I liked from two basses but soldering is a challenge for me 

There's a lot of good people on here that'll be more than happy to do the control plate, and to make it even simpler you could go with a quick connect mechanism to hook up the pickups.  Easy peasy.

You've mentioned elsewhere that you have '£900 waiting'.  This is easily doable.  Easily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

There's a lot of good people on here that'll be more than happy to do the control plate, and to make it even simpler you could go with a quick connect mechanism to hook up the pickups.  Easy peasy.

You've mentioned elsewhere that you have '£900 waiting'.  This is easily doable.  Easily.

I’m certainly warming to this but I’m also looking at a Flea bass and thinking with nitro finish could be easy to get the finish off and the 61 specs look great 😊 

Edited by Duroc17

20 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

I’m certainly warming to this but I’m also looking at a Flea bass and thinking with nitro finish could be easy to get the finish off and the 61 specs look great 😊 

The nitro finish should come off with (lots of) acetone and a cloth.  The fear would be what is actually under the nitro and/or what Fender have primed the [Flea] body with.

Personally, I'm really not a fan of these mass production Signature model guitars (did a gig years back where two different bassists turned up with Fleas), much better to make one in your own image.

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve had the flea bass and they are a really great jazz to play, I also like the concentric pots, but as has been mentioned you don’t know how the body wood has been matched underneath , which might be a problem with the natural finish 

Yeah don’t know what primer is there. What was the neck like? How fat is a U shape? The pots look great.  I really like the 60s anniversaries too but don’t like the pay ferro neck 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

How fat is a U shape? The pots look great.

Slightly deeper from front to back than a standard jazz , but quite comfortable, very similar to a 70s RI jazz I had, the pots are really good and at first took me a while to get used to, even though there’s only 2 there’s quite a variety of tones 

3 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I wouldn’t strip one. Historically lower quality bodies are used for solid colours 

But what quantifies 'lower quality bodies'?

The Flea models aren't plywood, they'll be jointed, maybe two/three-piece bodies; Fender don't pancake bodies.  Uncertain how they're glued, but there wouldn't be anything particularly horrific under the finish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Slightly deeper from front to back than a standard jazz , but quite comfortable, very similar to a 70s RI jazz I had, the pots are really good and at first took me a while to get used to, even though there’s only 2 there’s quite a variety of tones 

The 70s RI was my bass for 15 years. Was just too heavy. I’m tempted to get another and just get a super wide strap

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

The 70s RI was my bass for 15 years. Was just too heavy. I’m tempted to get another and just get a super wide strap

Nice,  I don’t remember mine being heavy but to be honest I don’t take much notice of weights, great jazz for the price and maybe you could get someone to relic one for you if you’re after that look, this was mine 

IMG_1887.jpeg

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice,  I don’t remember mine being heavy but to be honest I don’t take much notice of weights, great jazz for the price and maybe you could get someone to relic one for you if you’re after that look, this was mine 

IMG_1887.jpeg

There’s one out there same for about 950 weighs 10.2lbs. I’d hurt my shoulder when fell off my push bike so I noticed it after 3 hour rehearsals 

sure are purdy basses 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

But what quantifies 'lower quality bodies'?

The Flea models aren't plywood, they'll be jointed, maybe two/three-piece bodies; Fender don't pancake bodies.  Uncertain how they're glued, but there wouldn't be anything particularly horrific under the finish.

Not one piece, not highly grained, not book matched, not similarly coloured - unlikely to look great stained 

I didn’t mean to suggest that they would be ply. 

Edited by Geek99

Have you seen this one , (nothing to do with me), if someone did the body for you it wouldn’t be far away from your picture 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126107159590?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fvvkWHdBRoG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=1wDkd4CjTIi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

A bit left field, but why not get in touch with Crimson to see whether you can do one of their kit builds over 4/5 days. They have all the experts on site and can help you with the tricky bits. Admittedly, you will probably be looking at a tad more than £900, but you will have done most of the work yourself to a high standard and have the expert help with what you can't do. Click Here

I did one of their set-up courses, and it was well worth it. I have been considering doing a build course myself.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Have you seen this one , (nothing to do with me), if someone did the body for you it wouldn’t be far away from your picture 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126107159590?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fvvkWHdBRoG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=1wDkd4CjTIi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Already been in touch haha. He won’t post and he’s away next weekend and I have gigs etc for rest of Oct weekends so no go

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

A bit left field, but why not get in touch with Crimson to see whether you can do one of their kit builds over 4/5 days. They have all the experts on site and can help you with the tricky bits. Admittedly, you will probably be looking at a tad more than £900, but you will have done most of the work yourself to a high standard and have the expert help with what you can't do. Click Here

I did one of their set-up courses, and it was well worth it. I have been considering doing a build course myself.

985£ and your bring your own wood