Why become a member? ×

Batteries for active bass

J66Bass

3 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Many of the Swedish-made EBS amps can phantom-power an active bass with a stereo jack cable. Or the last (EBS) pedal in the chain, those support phantom-power through the jack too. I've never tried it on my HD350 or my NeoDrome, but it should just be a matter of flicking a tiny dipswitch on the back panel. 

Never known anybody to use it!

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

My batteries last at least 12 months. I change them every year.

A system simple enough that even I can make it work.

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I don’t get why folk seem to be having such a problem with batteries?

Precisely!! I have a reasonable number of active basses - I carry spare batteries - however when I change them I add one of those circular coloured stickers to the battery (s) and write the date on them. I’m currently changing batteries which are 2-3 yrs old simply as a precaution.

This really is about as much of an issue as worrying about breaking a string. I haven’t carried a spare bass or strings for years, in fact I don’t remember the last time I broke one (maybe sometime in the 80s owing to aggressive slapping!!). 

As with everything else on the internet I suspect some of the people stating there is an issue might not even use an active bass 😂 I must admit I have a couple of basses which are virtually the same, one active one passive. I don’t use the passive one when I require certain types of sound as it’s not the best for that - I certainly wouldn’t give the battery much more than cursory thought, and then probably only if I hadn’t used it for a while. 

• Like 1

Every year or so I remember to check the batteries on my actives, and if any are low I will replace them. It isn't that common, but it means I will often be spending upwards of £3-4 every year on batteries! I carry a spare PP3 in my kit. I have used it twice - once for a guitarists effects pedal, once for the drummers light control. Haven't used it on a bass yet. The only time one did die in a show was the wrongo, and I thought it would be ok as I had replaced it the week earlier, but turns out it was wired to not switch off, so it had been just wired on since I put it in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just change the battery in my active bass every time I change strings, every 2 or 3months.

The cost is well worth it vs the embarrassment of battery failure, which I’ve only experienced

once in my playing career. I get Duracell ProCell batteries off eBay for around £12.00 for a pack

of 10, so hardly a major expense to keep them fresh. ( I keep the ones I remove as spares

for guitarists who never seem to carry any!)

I agree with the comment above about basses that can run passive as well as active - got 

to be the best arrangement for everyone,

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

I just change the battery in my active bass every time I change strings, every 2 or 3months.

The cost is well worth it vs the embarrassment of battery failure, which I’ve only experienced

once in my playing career. I get Duracell ProCell batteries off eBay for around £12.00 for a pack

of 10, so hardly a major expense to keep them fresh. ( I keep the ones I remove as spares

for guitarists who never seem to carry any!)

I agree with the comment above about basses that can run passive as well as active - got 

to be the best arrangement for everyone,

procells are apparently less likely to leak which is why i use them, but that ebay price seems suspiciously way too low.... do they come with the little plastic caps on each terminal?

Edited by Musicman666

11 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

procells are apparently less likely to leak which is why i use them, but that ebay price seems suspiciously way too low.... do they come with the little plastic caps on each terminal?

They used to come with one plastic cap ( presumably on the + terminal?) but the last box I got

had them with a snap on dual terminal cap thingy.
I’ve just checked and actually paid £14.29  for them (incl delivery) from gogreenuk on eBay

in June this year - apologies for the error. Still not bad value though compared to buying them

singly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

. . . .  I have used it twice - once for a guitarists effects pedal, once for the drummers light control. Haven't used it on a bass yet.

Same here.

I always carry spare batteries and fuses. So far I've supplied batteries to 2 guitarists and provided fuses for a guitar amp, and a PA. I've also had a guitarist and a coupe of drummers borrow the screwdrivers I always carry.

Never used any of those for bass, touch wood!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

I buy mine from batterystation.co.uk, they were £11.49 for 10, so that seems like the going price. I like the little caps, makes it handier to throw in the bag!

• Thanks 3

On 10/09/2023 at 11:51, EBS_freak said:

I don’t get why folk seem to be having such a problem with batteries?

Me neither. Mines last ages so the cost vs usage is not a particularly big worry of mine.

Plus mine just degenerates slowly.. it doesn't juat die mid gig... unless there's circuits out there that do!