Why become a member? ×

40th Anniversary Precision £259 at Thomann!

Frank n funker

3 hours ago, Lw. said:

Mad bargain.

I've got the collection down to all I need right now (3) so am going to pass but it's tempting to get one of the P's and leave it in the box just in case I'm in a band that needs a P with rounds again! 

Better to have it and not need it though.  Preparation is key and all that.

• Haha 3

Damn this thread, damn it I say! Just pulled the trigger on the more expensive, blond version.

OK, full disclosure, I've had raging P bass GAS for months and was contemplating building my own (see, putting parts together), so this thread has actually saved me a few quid. I just hope that I'm not disappointed and just keep using my Mustang. 🤞

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Damn this thread, damn it I say! Just pulled the trigger on the more expensive, blond version.

OK, full disclosure, I've had raging P bass GAS for months and was contemplating building my own (see, putting parts together), so this thread has actually saved me a few quid. I just hope that I'm not disappointed and just keep using my Mustang. 🤞

Happy to help mate 🤣👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lw. said:

Mad bargain.

I've got the collection down to all I need right now (3) so am going to pass but it's tempting to get one of the P's and leave it in the box just in case I'm in a band that needs a P with rounds again! 

That's pretty much why I bought one. I don't actually have a fretted bass, only fretless basses these days and don't play in a band that requires a fretted bass but useful to have one just in case.

Attitudes to change fascinate me.

In terms of their impact on how a bass actually sound and feels both hi-mass bridges and laurel fingerboards make only small (or imperceptible to many people) differences.

One is cheaper, the other more expensive than the traditional approach.

If laurel was rare I'm sure boutique builders would be singing its praises.

Equally, if high mass bridges were cheap,  they would be derided as a gimmick.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Attitudes to change fascinate me.

In terms of their impact on how a bass actually sound and feels both hi-mass bridges and laurel fingerboards make only small (or imperceptible to many people) differences.

One is cheaper, the other more expensive than the traditional approach.

If laurel was rare I'm sure boutique builders would be singing its praises.

Equally, if high mass bridges were cheap,  they would be derided as a gimmick.

This.

I’m pretty sure 99.99% of an audience and 99% of bass players themselves wouldn’t be able to hear any noticeable difference between a rosewood/laurel board or different bridge. 

The decisions back in the day to use these now hallowed materials were almost certainly made using bottom line thinking rather than some tonal nirvana. 

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

This.

I’m pretty sure 99.99% of an audience and 99% of bass players themselves wouldn’t be able to hear any noticeable difference between a rosewood/laurel board or different bridge. 

The decisions back in the day to use these now hallowed materials were almost certainly made using bottom line thinking rather than some tonal nirvana. 

I've personally never noticed any difference between different bridges. I've had Fender Precision's with a High Mass Bridge, standard bridges and ever the '51 design bridges and never noticed any difference whatsoever in sustain, playability or tone between any of them. The only difference tonally is the pickups where a '51 P-Bass sounded like a '51 P-Pass, a '72 Humbucker Telebass sounded like a Humbucker Telebass and a split coil P-Bass sounded like split coil P-Bass. In fact the best sounding Precision I have ever had is my Mexican Fender FSR 70's Precision which has a standard bridge and has sustain for days. Even our singer has commented on it. Its why its my main recording bass but I am sure that's more down to the 62 Custom Shop pickups and the Ash body.

• Like 3

Just to add, my 40th Anniversary Precision in Satin Dakota Red has just arrived and it is incredible. An absolute dream to play and is actually set up really nicely. It also sounds brilliant and despite not liking satin necks as I prefer gloss necks, it feels really really nice. The only other satin neck I've ever liked was my fretless Stingray which was the nicest neck I've ever played but this also feels really good. The vintage look is also really nice. So I am super happy and the best £250 I've spent on a bass and will tide me over as the only fretted bass in my collection 😜

image0(4).thumb.jpeg.b68ef94b4e94c2dec7710ee9fd00344a.jpegimage2(1).thumb.jpeg.f63fc61c13b01a43ccb15eeb727f9e3d.jpegimage3.thumb.jpeg.27f007be3ea5c14882186fe67591216e.jpegimage1(2).thumb.jpeg.0d8ef737ffa9c5808fc782943db9ca5d.jpeg

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 17

3 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Just to add, my 40th Anniversary Precision in Satin Dakota Red has just arrived and it is incredible. An absolute dream to play and is actually set up really nicely. It also sounds brilliant and despite not liking satin necks as I prefer gloss necks, it feels really really nice. The only other satin neck I've ever liked was my fretless Stingray which was the nicest neck I've ever played but this also feels really good. The vintage look is also really nice. So I am super happy and the best £250 I've spent on a bass and will tide me over as the only fretted bass in my collection 😜

Fake news ;)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

image0(4).thumb.jpeg.b68ef94b4e94c2dec7710ee9fd00344a.jpegimage2(1).thumb.jpeg.f63fc61c13b01a43ccb15eeb727f9e3d.jpegimage3.thumb.jpeg.27f007be3ea5c14882186fe67591216e.jpegimage1(2).thumb.jpeg.0d8ef737ffa9c5808fc782943db9ca5d.jpeg

Mine arrived today too, I'm also super happy with it. It's set up really well, if a touch too high for me but I'll give it a fettle tomorrow. I have to say I think it looks superb,  the vintage tinted neck is very classy as is the satin finish on the body.

The sound is everything I'd hoped for with tons of sustain. I'm particularly impressed with how progressive the tone control is, small adjustments give really discernable change.

It'll soon be strung with flats with the addition of a tug bar and maybe a bridge cover to complete the retro vibe.

I'd have been over the moon with this bass at full rrp but for £259 it's incredible!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank n funker said:

Mine arrived today too, I'm also super happy with it. It's set up really well, if a touch too high for me but I'll give it a fettle tomorrow. I have to say I think it looks superb,  the vintage tinted neck is very classy as is the satin finish on the body.

The sound is everything I'd hoped for with tons of sustain. I'm particularly impressed with how progressive the tone control is, small adjustments give really discernable change.

It'll soon be strung with flats with the addition of a tug bar and maybe a bridge cover to complete the retro vibe.

I'd have been over the moon with this bass at full rrp but for £259 it's incredible!

Post up pictures when you've done the bits to it as it will be great to see. I'm thinking of changing the pickguard to either a vintage off white or red tort and possibly fitting the fretted neck that came with my Fender FSR 70's Precision. It's tinted as well but not being used as the bass has a fretless neck on it as per the picture above. Like your idea of bridge covers as well so might do the same.

2 hours ago, Frank n funker said:

I'm particularly impressed with how progressive the tone control is, small adjustments give really discernable change.

That is very good to hear. The tone control on my JMJ is very usable for a wide range of tones, sounds like this is the same; happy days.

1 hour ago, sPiKi said:

I'm kinda feeling vindicated after the naysayers pitchin' in with their negativity vibes 🤪. The fact I got mine for a bargain too and it exceeded my expectations makes it all the sweeter to play!

20230328_153432.jpg

That is not making my waiting time any easier :lol:.

26 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Been playing around with mine a bit today 😁

Tort scratchplate and a lighter gloss 70's neck. Does change the look of the bass somewhat.

Rosewood neck which is quite nice.

20230913_180704.thumb.jpg.ab97d075fdd85f2db3d8db1dbbe7d01c.jpg

Original

Very Pino.

• Like 1