Why become a member? ×

Who would let me borrow their fretless bass for a show?

SimBass

I'm playing bass in a local Amdram production at the end of January and a handful of the peices 'require' a fretless (I've played fretless plenty in the past and also play cello & double bass so no learning curve) however I don't actually own a fretless bass at the moment.

So wondering if anyone (preferebly local to South Lincolnshire/Peterborough) would be willing to lend me their fretless bass that's been sat in the corner of their room for the last few years.

It's amdram, so not much money involved but would be happy to throw a bit of cash in as a gesture of good will.

Could also potentially leave my spare bass with you as 'deposit' to guarntee the return of the fretless.

Crazy idea, but you don't get if you don't ask.

(alternatively I could buy a bass on marketplace and then put it straight up for sale - but who has the cash to do that?)

Sorry to be of no use whatsoever, but you're welcome to use one of mine, hand on heart. Unfortunately I live in Japan but if you want to collect, tea/ adult beverages will be supplied. If you'd be kind enough to bring a few rolls of choc Hobnobs I'd be most grateful...

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, cetera said:

Do you know Nick Smith? He plays with a Genesis tribute show and teaches/does gear set-ups in the Peterborough area. He may be able to assist as he has nearly as many, if not more, basses as me....

I know of Nick but I don't know him to ask for a bass. As is common, bassists don't know bassisits, since there's only ever one per band so we just don't meet, so I might see if any of my mutual musical acquaintances know him or other bassists in the area well enough for that sort of request.

7 hours ago, dutchwife said:

Sorry to be of no use whatsoever, but you're welcome to use one of mine, hand on heart. Unfortunately I live in Japan but if you want to collect, tea/ adult beverages will be supplied. If you'd be kind enough to bring a few rolls of choc Hobnobs I'd be most grateful...

44 minutes ago, ahpook said:

If you were in London...I literally have a fretless sitting in the very same corner you describe.

Sorry, not much help...

If I fly to Japan via London I could have the pick of them! It'll only cost me a few airline tickets and some hobnobs!! Sounds sensible to me 🤣

• Haha 2

On 06/09/2023 at 18:23, SimBass said:

I'm playing bass in a local Amdram production at the end of January and a handful of the peices 'require' a fretless (I've played fretless plenty in the past and also play cello & double bass so no learning curve) however I don't actually own a fretless bass at the moment.

So wondering if anyone (preferebly local to South Lincolnshire/Peterborough) would be willing to lend me their fretless bass that's been sat in the corner of their room for the last few years.

It's amdram, so not much money involved but would be happy to throw a bit of cash in as a gesture of good will.

Could also potentially leave my spare bass with you as 'deposit' to guarntee the return of the fretless.

Crazy idea, but you don't get if you don't ask.

(alternatively I could buy a bass on marketplace and then put it straight up for sale - but who has the cash to do that?)

Not mee.....e.....e.....e. Sorry.😜

• 4 months later...

I just had the last night of the shows and the fretless went down a treat, it really make the difference for those pieces.

All thanks to the amazing @Roger2611 for being the amazing person to actually let me borrow their bass!

Top man, had great chats when I picked it up and I'll be in touch to drop it off again.

When I made the initial request I wasn't sure it was possible...but hats off to the BassChat community and of course @Roger2611

• Like 9