Why become a member? ×

Rockbass to lose the cheesy logo?

maxrossell

As shallow as I am, this would be the reason why I'd buy one. The thing I hate most about Rockbasses is the cheap-looking logo. The fact that they're also upgrading to a two-piece bridge is a bonus.

I'd have never bought a 'wick for 'wick money, but I'd buy a Rockbass if it works more like a MIM Fender vs. a US Fender. I wouldn't buy a MIM Fender if it had "AwesomeAxe" on the headstock instead of Fender.

I have to agree - I guess I'm shallow too! :)

Warwick obviously did a bit of market research and finally figured this out. The new Fortress fretless looks pretty damn good, by the way. Will have a go on that when I can get my hands on one.

Here's the Warwick forum thread with the new 2009 range for those who haven't seen it.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9174&start=0"]http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtop...174&start=0[/url]

(Why anyone would buy the T.M. Stevens monstrosity is beyond me.)

Edited by rjb

[quote name='rjb' post='480691' date='May 6 2009, 09:51 AM'](Why anyone would buy the T.M. Stevens monstrosity is beyond me.)[/quote]

Oooh, yeah, that is a bit... [i]Special[/i], isn't it. Maybe if you're in a reggae act?

Bumfrog: [quote]Guess I'm just not that superficial to let a thing like a headstock logo (or car badge) get in the way of what are great things at great prices.
Each to their own I guess.[/quote]

Well I would happily consider buying one of the new Rockbasses, so it's not about snob value. For me it's a simply an aesthetic issue - the Rockbass logo was, to my eyes, a horrible design (as was the jack plate). I don't want to spend money on something I personally don't like the look of!

Eight: [quote]Well, as a new Warwick owner I'm a bit peeved. (Edit: that the Rockbasses will carry the W on the headstock)[/quote]

Doesn't bother me. They'll still be very different basses. The exotic woods will be reserved for the German models.

[quote name='rjb' post='480832' date='May 6 2009, 12:05 PM']Doesn't bother me. They'll still be very different basses. The exotic woods will be reserved for the German models.[/quote]
I know I'm fighting a slightly childish tendency (from myself) on this one. :)

At one point I was looking to buy a Rockbass and remember thinking how much I hated that logo so I do get the move.

+1 on that Rockbass logo being horrible.

I've often thought the Rockbasses were a better buy just because the woods they use (alder, maple) are more sustainable than the rare exotic hardwoods used on the expensive Warwicks. It might just be me that worries about these things though :)

The Star bass looks cool, shame it's not shorter scale for that lovely rubbery slightly out of tune thing

[quote name='bozzbass' post='481016' date='May 6 2009, 02:15 PM']I've often thought the Rockbasses were a better buy just because the woods they use (alder, maple) are more sustainable than the rare exotic hardwoods used on the expensive Warwicks. It might just be me that worries about these things though :)[/quote]
It's not just you dude- I've set myself a challenge of my next bass having the smallest carbon footprint possible and being made of the most sustainable wood possible. Which will mean no expensive hardwoods but also no cheap asian manufacturing. hmmmmm.

[quote name='mrdirtyrob' post='481027' date='May 6 2009, 02:30 PM']It's not just you dude- I've set myself a challenge of my next bass having the smallest carbon footprint possible and being made of the most sustainable wood possible. Which will mean no expensive hardwoods but also no cheap asian manufacturing. hmmmmm.[/quote]

Make it yourself out of some of your own furniture! :)

I'm kidding.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='481036' date='May 6 2009, 02:37 PM']Make it yourself out of some of your own furniture! :)

I'm kidding.[/quote]

Don't tempt me! My pedalboard is made out of shelves and I once made a speaker cabinet out of all sorts of crap, somebody needs to stop me before I have a flat with no furniture but filled with poorly made music equipment.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='481036' date='May 6 2009, 02:37 PM']Make it yourself out of some of your own furniture! :)

I'm kidding.[/quote]

Warwick Red Special? LOL!

Anyways this is good news. I just never bought a RockBass because they didn't do any nice pickup options like the $$...Now if they do that in 5-string....GAS ALERT GAS ALERT!!!

First off Sterling by Musicman...Now upgraded Rockbass'...This "Recession" garbage may just have given the companies a kick they much needed.
Follow Fender in this trend, they do many basses in many price ranges from many different countries and it never hurt their name.

LOL I don't get why people would be mad about the Warwick logo replacing the RockBass I mean, do you like to show off your Warwick on stage because it has a great tone and feel OR because it's a "real" Warwick?...Chances are the audience don't give a what.
It's not like your saying you drive a Chevy when really it's a Daewoo...LOL!

So yeah, great news man.
Maybe this'll help more kids drop Guitar Hero for the real deal...But then Rockbass are like £300 to start anyways so maybe not haha!
This year is gonna be EVRY interesting gear wise...Very!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='mrdirtyrob' post='481057' date='May 6 2009, 03:06 PM']Don't tempt me! My pedalboard is made out of shelves and I once made a speaker cabinet out of all sorts of crap, somebody needs to stop me before I have a flat with no furniture but filled with poorly made music equipment.[/quote]

excellent :)

[quote name='bumfrog' post='480732' date='May 6 2009, 10:34 AM']Guess I'm just not that superficial to let a thing like a headstock logo (or car badge) get in the way of what are great things at great prices.[/quote]
As a mate of mine in the car industry who was giving Skodas credit....he described them as "Audi A6 in M&S clothes". It's equally the same with basses.

I've heard some expensive ones that just don't do it for me, and some cheap ones that really do.

Like you said, each to their own.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='481287' date='May 6 2009, 06:23 PM']As a mate of mine in the car industry who was giving Skodas credit....he described them as "Audi A6 in M&S clothes". It's equally the same with basses.

I've heard some expensive ones that just don't do it for me, and some cheap ones that really do.

Like you said, each to their own.[/quote]

Yeah...I'll likely be shot by saying that I got rid of my Peavey Cirrus 6-string after playing my BTB556...LOL!
(Dodges bullets).

That logo and face mounted jack affair looked horrifc imho and def cost em a sale from me in the past. I do understand that perhaps that sharing a logo with the branded wicks may debatably devalue the german wicks in the eyes of more gear obsessed types as us, but hey ho, it'll shift more units I'm sure!

Max - you're certainly right about current Warwick prices. I don't know if it is the Euro, but my Streamer Stage 1 6 is now £3617 rrp :)
The 2-piece bridge is a big improvement and as you say it makes a lot of sense just to call them Warwicks so they are associated with the premium price instruments.
The other good thing is that you can now pick up very nice Warwicks secondhand for stupid money compared to the rrp - a student of mine recently got a lovely early 90's Corvette 5 (with wenge neck too) for under £300...

[quote name='gafbass02' post='481446' date='May 6 2009, 09:40 PM']That logo and face mounted jack affair looked horrifc imho and def cost em a sale from me in the past. I do understand that perhaps that sharing a logo with the branded wicks may debatably devalue the german wicks in the eyes of more gear obsessed types as us, but hey ho, it'll shift more units I'm sure![/quote]

The recessed, front mounted jack was only the Streamer if memory serves. It's side mounted on my Corvette.

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='481499' date='May 6 2009, 10:51 PM']As an owner of two "top range" 'Wicks, I'd prefer to see the logo on the Rockbasses clearly
defined as visibly different from a first division Wick. Perhaps they could put the W in a circle,
or something similar.[/quote]

Why's that? I mean, you'll still be the owner of two MIG, exotic tonewood 'wicks. Rockbass buyers won't be.

There will arguably be more difference between MIC Rockwoods and MIG 'wicks, even if they look very similar, than there are between Mex Fenders and US Fenders, which from a distance look identical. But I've never heard a US Fender user say that he wishes that Mexican Fenders were more clearly identified as "second division".

[quote name='maxrossell' post='481624' date='May 7 2009, 09:02 AM']Why's that? I mean, you'll still be the owner of two MIG, exotic tonewood 'wicks. Rockbass buyers won't be.

There will arguably be more difference between MIC Rockwoods and MIG 'wicks, even if they look very similar, than there are between Mex Fenders and US Fenders, which from a distance look identical. But I've never heard a US Fender user say that he wishes that Mexican Fenders were more clearly identified as "second division".[/quote]

sounds like he cares more about what's on the headstock then what's actually in his hands.... :)

Happens in all walks of life for all things. Some people like to wear the money they spend on their sleeve and want everybody to know they've spent a lot.

Edited by bumfrog