Why become a member? ×

(Sorta) NBD Jim Harley Pbass

neil___lien

Hey y'all!

Due to financial issues, I was down to zero playable basses for the last three months.. This Jim Harley Pbass copy was given to me pre-Covid by a couple of friends after it had sat in a garage for 10+ years. Metal parts were rusty, pots were scratchy, the bumpy pickguard would come off everytime U'd pull the jack out... 

It's made of really shitty soft wood (is it even wood?) and the screws were just spinnin' in there like there was nowhere to cling to lol...

Pics of the bass before & now below:

- Guyker bridge with brass saddles (no through body option, sadly enough, but that'swhat i had so that's what i had to work with),

- Squier CV tuning machines,

- Harley Benton strap pins & knobs,

- MusicLily CTS 500k pots,

- Ancable input jack,

- Sprague Orange Drop capacitor (0.047uF),

- copper tape shielding

- cloth covered wiring &

- D'Addario Nylon Tapewound strings.

This will have to do until i get smthg better.. Hopefully soon...

Aesthetically not really different.. i do plan to refinish it in Pehlam Blue or Dark Lake Placid Blue with dark red tortoise pickguard if it turns out i like the bass a lot.. 

I am curious though. I can't find much online about Jim Harley as a brand. There are a few really dreadful reviews of this bass on Audiofanzine in France for instance.. but other than that... 

Does anyone know anything? Where it was manufactured, etc? There is a sticky area behind the headstock on mine where it seems a sticker was at some point, probably indicating country of origin & serial number.. but it's been removed...

Before:

20230815_104258.jpg

After:

20230902_082346.jpg

Edited by neil___lien
Added info
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi, nice job, as long as it’s playable and it sounds good you’re good to go 👍

Recorded this after driving for 7 hours so no good playing there but U can hear it played close to the neck & palm muted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwn_wCvszdn/?igshid=MmU2YjMzNjRlOQ==

• Like 2

I found one in France in a car boot sale. I couldn't find anything about them either.

The previous owner had let it rust and there are some deep gougers in the back of the neck, he said it was about 10 years old and cost him 400 euros new (I'm guessing that would have been about £300ish). I think they're just a cheap, Asian made fender replica, probably sold under different names in different countries.

• Thanks 1

Funny.. the couple that gave it to me are French. My only other friend who knows about the brand is French. And Audiofanzine, where i found a couple of very negative reviews, is also a French forum (i believe)... 

It's not a bad bass, in fact, after all the work i've put into it... The neck is super nice, frets are super shallow, which is new to me, but happy to report there are no pokey ends... There is one thing i hate though, which i've only had with one other bass before: It's that i really need to be careful not to touch the pole pieces when i am playing or my ears regret it instantly..  

Is a pick-up upgrade necessary?

17 minutes ago, neil___lien said:

Funny.. the couple that gave it to me are French. My only other friend who knows about the brand is French. And Audiofanzine, where i found a couple of very negative reviews, is also a French forum (i believe)... 

It's not a bad bass, in fact, after all the work i've put into it... The neck is super nice, frets are super shallow, which is new to me, but happy to report there are no pokey ends... There is one thing i hate though, which i've only had with one other bass before: It's that i really need to be careful not to touch the pole pieces when i am playing or my ears regret it instantly..  

Is a pick-up upgrade necessary?

For that, to my understanding clear nail polish at the top of the pole pieces would do. With zero impact on the sound. I think it means that the pole pieces are not grounded, somebody else can correct me and/or explain better

7 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Plywood is not the worst material to make a bass from.

Do you still have the original bridge?

Nope, i gave it away to a guy who wanted to mod a Bronco... Further down the line when i have money & time i might go back to a through body bridge (the holes are still there), change the pick-ups or ground the poles, & refinish the whole thing Pehlam Blue or Dark Lake Placid Blue.. but that'll probably be in 2024...

10 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I know 

guy pratts bass Betsy was discovered to be made from plywood in his book. 

like I said, if it sounds good, play it till it breaks 

It wasn`t Betsy as it`s a real 64 if I remember right. It was the Jazz copy that his dad bought him that was ply. Nowt wrong with a ply bass though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

It wasn`t Betsy as it`s a real 64 if I remember right. It was the Jazz copy that his dad bought him that was ply. Nowt wrong with a ply bass though.

And in an interview guy says the jazz used to belong to John Entwistle, very rare colour too 

What was wrong with the stock bridge?

And I never got why cloth covered wiring is a thing, when plastic insulated shielded wiring (that is the ground running as a braided shield all along the insulated hot wire) is much better, at least from a noise eliminating viewpoint. 

And yes, plywood can be as good as any other solid types of wood for guitars and basses.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash