Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge

lurksalot

That's the meteorological summer done with, and done with style by DoctorJ, who took the honours in the August challenge.

So on to September it is then, with the image chosen as below...

The Doc adds .."this looks ambiguous enough to allow lots of interesting interpretations"

image.png.4ea7d482d58a79b07ad41b2c15f3b237.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, there were no truces on offer worth noting this month, shame!

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline wise , we will go for Lunchtime on the 24th but I will probably be doing the voting thread in the evening to allow a little extra rolling in glitter ;)

A line or two of blurb as well for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Have fun 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 04/09/2023 at 13:12, lurksalot said:

Has she set fire to Lorraine ? 

I have this stuck in my head and can’t get rid , also I am trying a new way of recording as the weather is so good I am sitting in the garden recording on an iPad , advantage I can drive off to a field in the middle of nowhere and try to sing 😉

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve started something. Absolutely hate my voice…maybe I need a field 😂

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

see, we differ, I love my voice , everyone else hates it 😁

I’m a mix between both of you. 
Everyone and me hates my voice. 🤣

Though I do love the vocoder. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

I recall she has a lovely tone , looking forward to it 👍

That’s the only song she’s ever recorded. She loves singing too, but won’t sing in front of anyone other than me. 
I need to break her out of that nonsense. 

Balls to it.

I keep messing, and I can’t come up with a chorus.

This is me singing (into a microphone) for the first time in 16 years.

I started this after talking to a mate who’s going through a rough time - we reminisced over simpler times and when all we had to worry about was enough beer to kill a tank and a kebab on the way home.

When did life get so complicated.

Anyhow - apologies for the annoying link issue, iPads and iPhones won’t play ball.

https://on.soundcloud.com/eWrBuH41iriHBDbH6

• Like 3

T'is time to try this malarky again !

Watching the rugby world cup has reminded me how many of todays' commentators like to turn every phrase into a headline.
Is she holding the last fire on earth? Or has she just caught her brolly alight at a lakeside bbq?

Anyhow, squire guitar,mustang bass  through focusrite into Reaper. Odd bits of keys on lpk25. Finally,  MT drums try to keep me in time....ha !

• Like 3

I’ll roll mine in glitter in the morning , but it did some turns itself on the way !

supposed to be a powerful skit on Adele , it drifted with the idea of ‘wish you were here’ and then plummeted via Judith chalmers into a very chilled cliff mitchelmore era ‘holiday ‘83’ type vibe.

still not sure how it happened , although, as usual , I’ll do a bit , like it and save it, add some more, then like it and save it , and I guess by then, it has a life of its own 😁

• Haha 1

Here is my contribution to the September 2023 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Doctor J.
It takes practise to give the Gift of Fire; this is not his finest attempt ...
An intellectual exercise, here. Inspired in three parts : the well-known Greek myth of the creation of Fire, set to music using Alexander Scriabin's Mystic, Prometheus chord, with libretto stolen (like the Fire...) from Schubert's 'Prometheus', by Goethe (very freely translated, and supplied below ⬇️ ...).
Philharmonik for the instruments, playing the Mystic Chord using RandARP, Jennifer for the philosophical outpouring. My usual Cockos NY 'glue' with Reaper, of course; what else..?
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Libretto ...

Cover your sky, Zeus, with cloud mist and, like the boy who beheads thistles, practice on oak trees you and mountain heights; But you must leave me my earth and my hut, which you did not build, and my hearth, whose glow you envy me.

I know nothing poorer under the sun than you, gods! You live meagrely on sacrificial taxes and breath of prayer, Your Majesty, and would starve if it were not for children and beggars, hopeful fools.

Since I was a child and didn't know where to come from, I turned my stray eye to the sun, as if there were an ear over it to hear my complaint, a heart like mine to take pity on the oppressed.

Who helped me against the titan's arrogance? Who saved me from death, from slavery? Didn't you complete everything yourself, with a holy glowing heart? And did you glow young and good, deceived, giving thanks to the sleeping one above?

I honour you? For what? Have you eased the pain of the burdened one? Have you stilled the tears of ever the one in fear? Has not almighty time and eternal fate forged me into manhood, my lords and yours?

Did you think that I should hate life, flee into deserts, because not all the blossoming dreams ripened?

Here I sit, shaping people in my image. A generation that is like me, To suffer, to cry, To enjoy and rejoice And not to respect you, Like me!

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

here is my contribution , A little bit of muzack that seemed to put out it's own fire as soon as it reared its head!

technical... sat in the garden with the ipad on garageband exploiting guitar sounds , then using the drum pads ( which I quite liked ), then play it into reaper and adding a bit of piano, and fleabass.

then going back to ipad to find some vocal samples, and bringing them on to it . 

• Like 2

And another for the pile.

A rinky-dinky, jingly-jangly, plinky-plonky instrumental to soothe your worries and ease your way when you find yourself walking through a lake dressed as Audrey Hepburn carrying a combustible umbrella. As usual.

Just a Sherwood solid-body electric mandolin and a Yamaha YPT-240 keyboard used this time. Recorded with Wavepad and Audacity.

• Like 2

Sadly, it’s been a busy month for me (knocking down old garage, getting foundations clear for new one & just general house renovating), so might not have anything for this month. Certainly won’t get any vocals from the Mrs in time. ☹️

Hopefully next month.