Why become a member? ×

3Leaf Audio madness

Quatschmacher

39 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I think he will succeed in his intention to slow down the sale 😅 some folks will buy it though. I'm gonna wait for his 'International Only' sale.

Yep, that was what I thought. A case of “careful what you wish for”. Also, I really dislike having stuff foisted upon me that I neither want nor need. 

I saw this and thought the same.

I can't blame him though, given how fast the last lot sold out (100 in less than a minute or something?), he's probably figured out this lot will do the same AND help shift some stock of preamps lying around.

And if they don't sell (which seems unlikely given resale prices), he can just sell them separately later.

He's probably generated a lot of ill will from this, but I suspect he doesn't care too much (and people will still continue to buy his pedals).

As I've said before, I have completely given up on limited edition product releases and previews of things that are still being designed.

If a product isn't available for me to buy in a shop and take home with me today, or order on line for immediate shipping, then I am simply not interested and will make do with those things that are available to buy right now.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

As I've said before, I have completely given up on limited edition product releases and previews of things that are still being designed.

If a product isn't available for me to buy in a shop and take home with me today, or order on line for immediate shipping, then I am simply not interested and will make do with those things that are available to buy right now.

It’s not like the world is short of pedals that you could buy today is it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just how many people in the audience or muso's for that fact' would know by ear just what make of effect pedal someone was using... I admit to having some units from the builders mentioned here... But their is an awfull a mount of hype or snakeoil surrounds certain manufactures products that people covert or desire... 

Probably none or maybe a few? I like pedals as works of art in their own right though so boutique pedals appeal to me. I had a board made up of MXR and Boss pedals that sounded good and I have a board made up of pretty, painstakingly hand built pedals that sounds good too.

That said, the Doom 2 is more synthy than any fuzz I’ve tried, the Octabvre tracks superbly well and the deep switch sounds great, and the FX loop in the Chromatron allows for a lot of flexibility not always available on envelope filters. They may not sound so different to anything else live to substantially change how a song sounds but I’m always happy when I use them.

• Like 2

I think as long as the player is happy, they'll derive more enjoyment from playing and that's good for everyone. I have tried most envelope filters out there and comparing many of them is splitting hairs in the extreme, but that's why we love what we do. 

1 hour ago, paulo m said:

But their is an awfull a mount of hype or snakeoil surrounds certain manufactures products that people covert or desire... 

I have spent a bit of time on Freestompboxes and DIYstompboxes - and what that's taught me is that there is some snakeoil - people for instance taking a common circuit and then releasing it with a few mods that someone on a forum developed. 

Then you have people who take something and then do the R&D to create their own variant - that might or might not have a merit as it's own thing... but it's subjective. Sometimes it's a variant on something, but often it becomes its whole new thing with features that people want for some specific need. 

And then you have some people who create products which have been properly engineered, or with a sole pursuit to some certain level of specific excellence, that with all the DIY skills in the world you wouldn't have a chance of getting near. Or other times is just good, and gets a reputation for being reliably good in a mix, and people buy into that. 

Add to that low supply production and it's easy to see how lack of supply leads to high prices on things - I'm not sure that's always hype or snake oil, and for me it really depends on the circuit we're discussing. As @admiralchew says above 3leaf stuff works, and does what it does really well - and then people want that. 
Importantly no one is forcing you to buy or want anything, and quality cheaper options exist

• Like 1