Why become a member? ×

Stylish scratchplate shapes

OldGit

I'm looking for examples of basses with stylish scratch plates, stuff with curves and proportions that add to the overall aesthetic of the bass rather than just cover a hole or give you somewhere to stick the knobs.

I'm not really looking for mainstream P J MM etc types as I'm very familiar with those designs.

What else is out there?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='480426' date='May 5 2009, 09:56 PM']Thunderbird.

I'm also a fan of the look of the Traban Basses with the "bigger bridge" where it takes on much the same aesthetic features as a scratch plate, particularly the Phoenix and the Tribal Sun designs.[/quote]

Any contenders in your weird and wonderful collections?

I think these add to the style

Italia Mondial

Like Bass Doc says, burns have done some nice examples. I rather like the scratchplate-on-top-of-a-scratchplate look of the Sonic.

Actually, the Mondial has that as well - I'm beginning to see a theme.:)

[quote name='OldGit' post='480462' date='May 5 2009, 10:33 PM']Any contenders in your weird and wonderful collections?
[/quote]
What's that? It's luvverly.

Yammy SBV comes to mind for oddness + sympathetic scratchplate:

I have a blue one & would love a pearl pink plate on it... :ph34r: :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='480871' date='May 6 2009, 12:27 PM']What's that? It's luvverly.[/quote]

[url="http://www.lecomptebass.com/gallery/"]http://www.lecomptebass.com/gallery/[/url]

That's the Lecompte PT 1.5, I think

Ta!

The Harkte looks like a thin brushed metal film over black plastic. The Talbo is aluminium sheet. The Traben is part of the bridge so chromed whatever the bridge is made of. The Reverend is the strangest - it looks like a thin semi-opaque white over black which just happens to look silver in certain lights.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='481376' date='May 6 2009, 08:16 PM']Ta!

The Harkte looks like a thin brushed metal film over black plastic. The Talbo is aluminium sheet. The Traben is part of the bridge so chromed whatever the bridge is made of. The Reverend is the strangest - it looks like a thin semi-opaque white over black which just happens to look silver in certain lights.[/quote]

I blame Phil Lynott :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='480426' date='May 5 2009, 09:56 PM']Thunderbird.

I'm also a fan of the look of the Traban Basses with the "bigger bridge" where it takes on much the same aesthetic features as a scratch plate, particularly the Phoenix and the Tribal Sun designs.[/quote]

The Array is nice too...Smaller than the others but still the same.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='481730' date='May 7 2009, 10:51 AM']I don't think it's the shape that makes for the most stylish aeshthetic - It's the material. The coolest looking ones are the transparent persprex ones. They make a bass look seriously cool.[/quote]

I'm looking at both aspects ...

Here's a W&T J-type with perspex. I'd prefer a chrome knob plate though

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Kongo' post='481542' date='May 7 2009, 12:06 AM']The Array is nice too...Smaller than the others but still the same.[/quote]

The Array is probably my least favourite of the Traben 'bigger bridges' It reminds me too much of naff 'metal' tattoos.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='481920' date='May 7 2009, 01:19 PM']The Array is probably my least favourite of the Traben 'bigger bridges' It reminds me too much of naff 'metal' tattoos.[/quote]

+1

The only Traben I would consider owning is the Chaos - no coincidence that it has the most conventional looking bridge out of all of them...

[quote name='Kongo' post='483836' date='May 9 2009, 04:51 PM']Has anyone here made and fit a scratcplate to a bass that doesn't have one?
I'm interested in doing this. I think Scratchplates add that bit of contrast to a bass.[/quote]

No and I wouldnt dream of putting one on my PRSs......

BUT

I do fancy the idea of a scratchplate in the shape of the state of Texas......

:)