Why become a member? ×

Pick Playing Problem

PatrickJ

I'm looking for some advice to help with a particular pick playing problem I'm having please.

The covers band I'm involved with play I saw Her Standing There by the Beatles which I duly play with a pick.  It's one of 4 songs in our set list that I play with a pick, however, with this one I have an ongoing issue with it slipping out of position between my fingers to the point I can no longer play thus forcing me to briefly stop to adjust.   On a warm gig night with slightly sweaty hands this can happen a few times in a relatively short song. 

Has anyone else faced a similar problem?  I'm hoping I can get some pointers on either technique, or tips, on how to solve the problem.

5 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

Dunlop tortex .73mm (basically what I used to use to play guitar with).

I'm going to try some slightly heavier picks with the grip mouldings.

Dunlop do an .88 with the mouldings...the grey ones - I use them and find them quite grippy.

37 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Dunlop do an .88 with the mouldings...the grey ones - I use them and find them quite grippy.

Those are the Max Grip Nylon ones, which will produce a significantly different, rounder, warmer, less snappy and clicky, tone, than the Tortex ones.

Also the Nylon picks are considerably more flexible than Tortex picks of the same gauge.

For instance the Dunlop .73mm Nylon pick will be more flexible than even the .60mm Tortex one.

When not using a combination of different finger picking/plucking techniques to play bass I personally prefer either a Dunlop Tortex .60mm pick or a 3.1mm soft Wedgie rubber pick, depending, as obviously they produce very different tone respectively.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash