Why become a member? ×

Squier P bass- crack in lacquer/crack in body?

EddHytheTown

Hi all,

I've had my Squier 40th anniversary p bass for nearly a year.

I've just noticed a large mainly straight crack running down almost the entire length of the back of the body from the neck plate to the strap button (where the crack curves slightly). It doesn't seem to extend round to the front of the body or the heel, though I haven't checked under the pickguard or bridge. 

If it's a two-piece body, I'd guess the crack is along the seam, but I've no idea. Could this just be a crack in the lacquer/paintwork or am I looking at a more serious structural issue here?

The bass always lives in a normal room in the house and is transported in a decent padded gigbag when out and about, so there's not been any massive temperature change, and I don't remember any serious knocks. 

Expert views are very welcome please!

IMG_20230815_144437295_HDR.thumb.jpg.9999bcf7321c35890db109d4d38a5778.jpg

IMG_20230815_144526308_HDR.thumb.jpg.1b58fb5d87bac1391ed8522654bc3326.jpg

IMG_20230815_144413252.thumb.jpg.6b70e43ffef10c1a01b7c6c28232dff4.jpg

Sorry for the crap photos, but I found photographing a shiny black bass without a great big reflection of me quite tricky! One of the photos was with the flash on my phone so possibly makes it look a bit worse than it is.

Cheers,

Edd

Next time you change the strings, take the neck off and have a look at the join in the neck pocket and see if there is any sign of it coming apart.

TBH I thought even two-piece bodies the joins were off-set so that all of the neck pocket was in the same piece of wood. Can someone prove me wrong?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Next time you change the strings, take the neck off and have a look at the join in the neck pocket and see if there is any sign of it coming apart.

TBH I thought even two-piece bodies the joins were off-set so that all of the neck pocket was in the same piece of wood. Can someone prove me wrong?

Doesn’t look offset to me, assuming that’s a join line of course  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Doesn’t look offset to me, assuming that’s a join line of course  

That's what I was trying to say - the joins are normally offset, as can be seen on Paul Simon's bass, so that they don't go through the neck pocket.

That's why taking the neck off will be an important check.

• Thanks 1

I bought it new from GAK, so have contacted them just to let them know. If it does turn out to be a structural flaw I'll be looking to them for a refund of some kind, though I do appreciate it's been nearly a year since I bought it so for all they know I could've left it out in the rain or stuck it in an oven or something daft.

I've got a rehearsal tonight and gig tomorrow, assuming nothing terrible happens at those I'll have the neck off later in the week to check the neck pocket.

Thanks all!

28 minutes ago, EddHytheTown said:

I bought it new from GAK, so have contacted them just to let them know. If it does turn out to be a structural flaw I'll be looking to them for a refund of some kind, though I do appreciate it's been nearly a year since I bought it so for all they know I could've left it out in the rain or stuck it in an oven or something daft.

I've got a rehearsal tonight and gig tomorrow, assuming nothing terrible happens at those I'll have the neck off later in the week to check the neck pocket.

Thanks all!

Nearly a year is less than a year and so it may well be still under warranty.  And if it is still under warranty then it's definitely a warranty job - there is no 'misuse/abuse/lack of maintenance' that can cause that that wouldn't show signs of misuse elsewhere.

If it is out of warranty and they start talking silly repair costs, shout - in terms of stabilising it rather than going for the 'invisible repair', there is a relatively simple and easy fix I can talk through with you that you would be able to do yourself.  But only resort to that if a warranty claim is a complete no-no and they offer no other acceptable fix. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You should be covered if it was new.  This is GAK's Warranty Statement off their website:

"Warranty

We want our customers to buy from us in confidence that their purchase is covered under warranty should anything go wrong. Some manufacturers may offer extended warranty periods if you choose to register the goods, so we always recommend checking the manufacturer’s website.

All new items are covered by the manufacturer’s minimum 1-year warranty

Second-Hand, B-stock and Ex-Display items have a 3-month warranty"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Even if it is out of manufacturer's warranty, you have coverage under The Sale of Goods act. That states (and I paraphrase massively), that goods should last for what a reasonable person thinks they should, taking into account the cost.

I've had external hard drives with 12 months warranty fail at 19 months, and had them replaced, as it's reasonable to expect them last two or three years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again all, basschat is such a fantastic resource. 

GAK have been very good with this, within the day they replied to say they were contacting Fender, then replied shortly after to offer me a full refund or swap. A like for like swap isn't possible as they have no stock on what was a limited run, which is a shame, but that just means I've spent a while browsing the GAK website!

They also offered the opportunity to send DPD to collect if I packaged the bass up for return, which would save me the train fare down to Brighton.

Apparently Fender replied to them that they thought it was a manufacturing error with the body joint.

Edd

• Like 7

When you have done the deal... refund or replace...

I'd be asking GAK how much to keep the damaged one, save the cost of DPD etc... bound to find a P body somewhere, or design ya own and fit the bits!

Body would also be the perfect starting place for a cheeky thru' neck P... @Andyjr1515

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EddHytheTown said:

Thanks again all, basschat is such a fantastic resource. 

GAK have been very good with this, within the day they replied to say they were contacting Fender, then replied shortly after to offer me a full refund or swap. A like for like swap isn't possible as they have no stock on what was a limited run, which is a shame, but that just means I've spent a while browsing the GAK website!

They also offered the opportunity to send DPD to collect if I packaged the bass up for return, which would save me the train fare down to Brighton.

Apparently Fender replied to them that they thought it was a manufacturing error with the body joint.

Edd

Good news - good customer service all round.  Nice to see :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

When you have done the deal... refund or replace...

I'd be asking GAK how much to keep the damaged one, save the cost of DPD etc... bound to find a P body somewhere, or design ya own and fit the bits!

Body would also be the perfect starting place for a cheeky thru' neck P... @Andyjr1515

I did think about taking the refund and keeping it, but unfortunately don't have the space (only because I'm planning to use the return shop credit to replace the bass, mind!)

That and I have no experience in putting together a bass from parts, so there's a serious risk it would just sit there as a project that never gets off the ground. 

1 hour ago, EddHytheTown said:

That and I have no experience in putting together a bass from parts, so there's a serious risk it would just sit there as a project that never gets off the ground. 

Irrespective of what you decide to do with this particular bass, I can thoroughly recommend that you try putting a “bitsa” together at some point. It’s not particularly difficult and there will be lots of BassChat help on hand if you need it. It’s a very satisfying experience and you’ll learn a lot in the process. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1