Why become a member? ×

Adventures in BEAD Tuning

Sean

I've just got back from my first rehearsal using BEAD tuning. Our guitarist uses drop Db, Eb standard and E standard tunings and I was getting frustrated changing instruments and remembering to flick the D-tuner. I wouldn't go back to 5 string again so decided to try BEAD and after relearning the fingerings of our songs it's been a revelation.

I don't miss the G, don't need it and the lower notes give us a fatter sound. I'm using the low B and C that I didn't have with my other basses so it's all good. The G&L Tribute JB2 copes with the Elites Detroit flats 130 string really well, like it was meant to be.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences with BEAD, there's not a lot out there on it from what I can see.

I fluffed a few bits and pieces just with the newness of it all but that's nothing that can't be committed to muscle memory.

The drummer and guitarist liked the change in tone and the lower register sections that weren't previously possible.

It's like a "nothing to see here" post for those that play 5 strings but this has been a great experience so far 😊

Edited by Sean
  • Like 1

I had a phase of that kind of thing for a particular band, but my lowest note was a C

I did this on a headless 4 banger which seemed perfectly happy to perform like that, with the strings that came with it too! 

I didn't miss a G as never went anywhere near there for this particular project which was  "Goth, industrial, metal" for want of a better description. 

I really don't like 5 strings at all, and would certainly take the same downtuning approach in future if I needed to. 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 2

I did the same for a project & it sounded really good, I got a spare nut for my Vigier which can be interchanged as it’s just for holding strings in place (has zero fret). I didn’t want to go back to 5 string, though I did find it cheaper getting (Warwick) 5 string set rather than dedicated 4 string set 130-060 as there aren’t many available.

So like you said just keep playing & get used to it.

I’d do it again if I was in a heavy rock or metal band :)

• Like 2

I decided to tune my main, a just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass to BEDG, B standard, tuning, and really like it.

That would be an octave higher though than the B standard tuning this thread is about. ;)

I might eventually go for 2 half steps lower, A standard tuning, which is called tenor bass tuning, but as said I really like it, and think I am going to stay here.

Mind of course this is useless for standard traditional bass work, and more of a solo/melodic kind of tuning.

Stanley Clarke for one utilize A standard, tenor bass, tuning a lot.

(Edit!: Eventually strung it with Elixir Nanoweb coated guitar strings of the gauges .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, and tuned it to A standard, tenor bass, tuning, that is like the top 4 strings of a 6 sting bass in regular B standard tuning. And love it!)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I've used Drop B tuning (BF#BE) on 4 stringers for 4 years to great effect.  I always avoid using a G string wherever possible as I hate the timbre of the note so I don't miss it at all.  In Drop B tuning, I also have every note a 5 string 21 fret bass would have available.  Much prefer to playing a fiver, don't enjoy having to buy custom string sets to suit the tuning properly...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I set my squire pj to bead last year. I really liked it as a lot of the compositions in my band are in E so I could approach the E from below and I didn't really miss the g that much .. but then I got a five string and as the band is quite funky having the g for slap is really helpful. I then went through a phase of playing a BEAD bass, a EADG bass and a fiver. My head began to explode so I did just 5 for a while.

The pj has standard flats on now and I just got a Mustang which is the opposite of the massive fiver! 

I enjoyed BEAD on a kit-build headless bass until the band decided to add 'Crazy little thing called love' to the set list.

I tried and failed to find a fretboard position that worked for me, and eventually retired the 4-string and returned to the versatility of 5 strings.

David

• Like 1