Why become a member? ×

Now here's a thing. Different bands, same song different lyrics.

NancyJohnson

I'll wager this is something that you will probably not have seen or heard before.

I'm a big powerpop fan and for some time have loved a Californian band called Tsar (who have spawned a few other bands, despite them still being more or less together).  First album came out in 2000 and contained the song 'Kathy Fong Is The Bomb'.  A couple of days ago I had Spotify going at it threw up a track called Baby Talk by a band from Massachusetts called Loose Lips.  Pretty much identical musically [EDIT here] and while the lyrics are different, the delivery of the lines thereon is also pretty much identical. 

The Loose Lips album was released in October 1999, the Tsar album mid-2000, but Jeff Whalen (Tsar front man) said the song was about 'a cool Japanese woman [I] worked with before Tsar got signed'.

Have a listen!

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

c

Less well known, but apparently using the same backing track is “Ca Plane Pour Moi” by Plastic Bertrand and “Jet Boy, Jet Girl” by Elton Motello.

that's the one that sprung to mind with me as well, apparently they used the same backing track,the Damned covered Jet Boy Jet Girl as well

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The classic example is of course “Shot By Both Sides” by Magazine and “Fast Cars” by The Buzzcocks.

Less well known, but apparently using the same backing track is “Ca Plane Pour Moi” by Plastic Bertrand and “Jet Boy, Jet Girl” by Elton Motello.

Was it not "Lipstick"? Devoto and Shelley had been working on some songs and Pete gave him the riff.

• Like 1

Here’s one. Song written by guitarist Stone Gossard, recorded on the original demo tape sent to Eddie Vedder before Pearl Jam formed who did his thing and made Footsteps. 
At the same time, Temple of the Dog was being recorded so Chris Cornell put his mark on it for Times of Trouble