Why become a member? ×

Preamp pedal as good as the onboard East Uni pre

LukeFRC

Playing with various pedals and onboard pres and I really enjoy the hi-fi but not sterile sound I get from the onboard East Uni preamp. 
nice preamp, tuneable bass and treble and semi parametric mids - it’s great!

(plus active blend onboard)

other than talk to mr east and mount one in a pedal, what else is there out there I should check out? 

Mr East used to sell them mounted in boxes. If it floats your boat (and there are all sorts of reasons it would) then I would buy one and mount it in the smallest box possible. I had a J-retro bell plate mounted on a box a long time ago. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Playing with various pedals and onboard pres and I really enjoy the hi-fi but not sterile sound I get from the onboard East Uni preamp. 
nice preamp, tuneable bass and treble and semi parametric mids - it’s great!

(plus active blend onboard)

other than talk to mr east and mount one in a pedal, what else is there out there I should check out? 

Don't forget the passive tone option. Yummy. 

• Like 1

What about the Genzler re/q?

Putting the East into a box would be the most versatile in that you can tune the lows and highs as other than being able to select some fixed frequency points many pedals don’t have that range...

The colour box would already be doing some of that work would it not?

Or get this…

IMG_0135.png

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I've tried a lot of onboard preamps and Mr East has hit a lovely sweet spot with the higher frequencies on his preamps.  Plus for the 3 band U retro if you nail the sweepable mids and bass in the right place, you can get a serious amount of mid range growl.  I have three of them now and the one in my Status has turned it from Series I into a Series II in terms of timbre.

• Like 1