Why become a member? ×

What Would You Change ?

Bluewine

48 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I suppose using hindsight we might change all sorts of things in our past, but that'd throw us into a completely different time-line and who knows what we'd be doing now (or even dead 😱) .. 

There's probably loads of insignificant things in life I might change.. a few stupid injuries I could have avoided for a start. 

I music, I perhaps should've made a better effort to keep one or two things going that had good potential.. Unlike a few here that have cited the reverse, I'd perhaps have gone more into guitar too. 

Yeah, neylon string, classic guitar, right ?

• Haha 1

I wish I had kept on with music when I was a lot younger.

Obviously I would like to be younger.. well actually, I really wouldn't, I would like to ache less I guess.

I would like to be in a prog group that did something and didn't fall apart but I guess you have to be aware that there isn't much scope for that round here.

• Like 2

If I could advise my 18 year old (shortly to turn pro) self, I'd tell me to focus on my singing, carry on playing double bass and get better at being a front man.

All things I didn't do and have held me back over the decades.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, police squad said:

I would like t have less injuries. I did both shoulders playing cricket (diving after the ball) and my back went ping a few years ago and I have to be much more careful.

I'm 55 soon and have no problem with my age, I only really play gigs that I want to play. I have recently been depping for @spongebob s band, Heroes. I have enjoyed every gig with them and I would play nearly all the venues again, they were nice places with great people.

When I was younger I failed an audition to join Bernie Torme's group. I let that get to me and never bothered chasing the dream, I think I should have continued chasing it, but I don't really regret anything. Life moves on, you've just got to go with it and try and enjoy yourself

No regrets here either. At 70, I'm thankful I can get up, put my gear together and drive to a gig. 

My point is ,at my age good health beats out everything. It can be taken away from us in the blink of an eye. 

Blue

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

If I could advise my 18 year old (shortly to turn pro) self, I'd tell me to focus on my singing, carry on playing double bass and get better at being a front man.

All things I didn't do and have held me back over the decades.

I could never get the hang of singing and playing bass. It's held me back as well . I can get out a few background vocals but that's about it.

Blue 

Blue

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I wish I had kept on with music when I was a lot younger.

Obviously I would like to be younger.. well actually, I really wouldn't, I would like to ache less I guess.

I would like to be in a prog group that did something and didn't fall apart but I guess you have to be aware that there isn't much scope for that round here.

Agreed again, if I was in a band that played progressive r&b and funk there wouldn't be many gigs. Not in this neck of the woods.

Blue

37 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

No regrets here either. At 70, I'm thankful I can get up, put my gear together and drive to a gig. 

My point is ,at my age good health beats out everything. It can be taken away from us in the blink of an eye. 

Blue

Respect to you, sir!  Most fall by the wayside long before that.

5 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You like a Brazilian do you...? 

5 hours ago, nilorius said:

Yeah, i like jazz lounge in brazillian mood.....especialy when gold or silver meath is working !

Well, that was a swing and a miss!

Mark

• Haha 3

I would have been more selective about which bands I joined. The current crew are the nicest, amiable gents I've ever gigged with as well as all of them being higly proficient musicians. Having good players around makes my playing better. So many bands in the past were a struggle, drummers who couldn't keep time, guitarists who didn't own a tuner, singers who struggled to stay in key and my pet hate, band members who show up at rehersal and obviously haven't learned the new tunes or who don't show u at all. Especially if they were mates.

Minor changes of less importance:

a) would never have sold my 78 Jazz🙄

b) would never have sold my 79 Pre EB Stingray😬

c) I should have bought the 79 Les Paul Standard sunburst flame top that was in McCormack's January sale in 1980 for a grand. It was stunning, sounded and played amazing and its tone still haunts me to this very day.

I'm fine with who I am personally even though the high mileage is beginning to show in many areas. A few less aches and pains would be nice nowadays. 🙂 Going back and making major musical/band changes can be a bit sliding doors. If I'd bought that Les Paul for instance, I might not have become a bass brother and be surfing on TDPRI tonight😄

Edited by DGBass
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DGBass said:

I would have been more selective about which bands I joined. The current crew are the nicest, amiable gents I've ever gigged with as well as all of them being higly proficient musicians. Having good players around makes my playing better. So many bands in the past were a struggle, drummers who couldn't keep time, guitarists who didn't own a tuner, singers who struggled to stay in key and my pet hate, band members who show up at rehersal and obviously haven't learned the new tunes or who don't show u at all. Especially if they were mates.

Minor changes of less importance:

a) would never have sold my 78 Jazz🙄

b) would never have sold my 79 Pre EB Stingray😬

c) I should have bought the 79 Les Paul Standard sunburst flame top that was in McCormack's January sale in 1980 for a grand. It was stunning, sounded and played amazing and its tone still haunts me to this very day.

I'm fine with who I am personally even though the high mileage is beginning to show in many areas. A few less aches and pains would be nice nowadays. 🙂 Going back and making major life changes can be a bit sliding doors. If I'd bought that Les Paul for instance, I might not have become a bass brother and be surfing on TDPRI tonight😄

Completly.....You have gained Your goal !!! Best regards!

Edited by nilorius

I’d like to have had more confidence and self belief when I was younger and people were telling me it was fine to have music as a hobby but to get a real job. 

As it turns out playing music has been the one constant in my life since I was 12 (including some of those people who gave me their helpful “advice” and have long since gone…). 

Far more important than just a hobby - a massive part of my life and something that has got me through a lot of hard times, as my escape, my own form of therapy and nourishment for my soul. 

• Like 6

Keeping it bass oriented … if I could magically change something, it would be that I'd just be a better player.

I'm by no means good, or even adequate. I really only play for my own benefit, and I enjoy that, but I'd like to be a little better, that's all.

Mark

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If that's a picture of you mate then your scariness is now legendary.. 😂

31 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If that's a picture of you mate then your scariness is now legendary.. 😂

No, the picture is not mine, but always think what your mother told you- don't break too many young girls hearts !!! Start to learn  "Muay Thai" and everything will be fine - meantaly and phisicaly.....thrust me !