Why become a member? ×

‘Ray with P neck £225 - *WITHDRAWN*
£350
Bath

oldslapper

16 hours ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Never seen a P-neck with that truss-rod head ..

10 hours ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

PS my Hondo II P-Bass copy had the same truss rod feature .. 

Mmm, never seen a P-neck like that, except on your Hondo P-Bass 😆

Looks a bloody decent bass for the price, there is something so iconic about the cream/black combination on a ‘Ray 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Ok thanks

PS my Hondo II P-Bass copy had the same truss rod feature .. 

I had one of those late 70's Hondo monstrosities, it was my first ever bass back in 1980. It does look like a Hondo 2 neck, but the thing that throws it out is the headstock.

All the Hondo 2' Ps with the Fender style Headstock had a flat heel, it wasn't until Hondo changed the shape of their headstocks that they changed the shape of the heel to the more traditional curved shape.

Late 70's Hondo II.jpg

Early 80's Hondo II Pro.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pst62 said:

I had one of those late 70's Hondo monstrosities, it was my first ever bass back in 1980. It does look like a Hondo 2 neck, but the thing that throws it out is the headstock.

All the Hondo 2' Ps with the Fender style Headstock had a flat heel, it wasn't until Hondo changed the shape of their headstocks that they changed the shape of the heel to the more traditional curved shape.

Late 70's Hondo II.jpg

Early 80's Hondo II Pro.jpg

I had a couple of the earlier Fender HS type Hondos years ago, I actually liked them, big baseball bat neck and hefty plywood body, I've used them on gigs no prob... worked for me 😁

• Like 1

Some more pics. 
The colour is more of an aged cream white.  

I’ve removed the pickguard cover now btw. 
I might be interested in selling the loaded body as there’s a P style body that the neck would suit. I was going to buy but had to pull out sorry @hooky_lowdown

Or might just keep it as a back up or for some 80’s slap! 😂

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1458.jpeg

IMG_1459.jpeg

Edited by oldslapper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I had a couple of the earlier Fender HS type Hondos years ago, I actually liked them, big baseball bat neck

Yup describes this neck! 

The shop in Gloucester had a number of NOS necks and this one had the 2 miscolour patches in the rear, so assumed that’s why they weren’t attached to a body. 

5 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Yup describes this neck! 

The shop in Gloucester had a number of NOS necks and this one had the 2 miscolour patches in the rear, so assumed that’s why they weren’t attached to a body. 

Interesting, you'd think Hondos would've just shipped over here from Japan (or wherever) as complete basses without "spares" of any kind.. The Hondos in question had the logo slightly inlaid too so you couldn't just scrape them off, you'd have to sand a mm or something off the whole surface. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I had a couple of the earlier Fender HS type Hondos years ago, I actually liked them, big baseball bat neck and hefty plywood body, I've used them on gigs no prob... worked for me 😁

Not wanting to hi-jack the thread any more I'll just say "Mine was shite!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pst62 said:

Not wanting to hi-jack the thread any more I'll just say "Mine was shite!"

As the only owner and player of this neck, I can vouch for its “unshite-ness”.

I chose it over some NOS tokai necks the shop had. 

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

As the only owner and player of this neck, I can vouch for its “unshite-ness”.

I chose it over some NOS tokai necks the shop had. 

I was referring to my Hondo only mate and in no way intending to criticise your neck. and as pointed out the differences earlier, I don't consider yours a Hondo anyway. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pst62 said:

I was referring to my Hondo only mate and in no way intending to criticise your neck. and as pointed out the differences earlier, I don't consider yours a Hondo anyway. 

It’s all good, just wanted to vouch for the neck. Can be death by association sometimes. 
Like to know the manufacturer though. 

• oldslapper changed the title to ‘Ray with P neck £300
  • oldslapper changed the title to ‘Ray with P neck *Withdrawn*