Why become a member? ×

New Fender precision uke bass

Jean-Luc Pickguard

6 hours ago, gjones said:

Dare I ask, what is the point of this....... thing? 🫤

Well, it's a Fender that costs less than a good gig bag, so some people will jump on them, despite their shortcomings.

Other than that, the soundhole is absolutely useless and it looks preposterous and the bridge looks almost as big as the neck!

I wouldn't buy one if it cost the same as a pack of strings, but it actually sounds pretty good.

Edited by jd56hawk

• 5 months later...

So the little guy has arrived, and I am enjoying it a lot. I guess it's not for everyone, but as a mainly shortscale guy, this is MY shortscale.

The build quality is not terrible for £220. The wood is fine, the pieces are joined up nice, it's a pleasure to look at. It DOES sound prec-ish somehow.

The fretwork is where the "made in China" shows, they don't even show on photos that much, but the fitting is quite disgusting around a few frets.

image.thumb.png.3cdb94083073603af0d4b9f06aa250fd.png

image.png.8a26fde437557f19ef3279e392b6b428.pngimage.png.c2a86e7369abe2b5cf91b210acfd1aef.png

As you can see, the fretboard was dried out to the point where the wood starts to become grey-ish, so gave it some lemon oil, and it turned nice dark brown.

image.thumb.png.1b5b8557a2ec1600dfb62958699b00a5.png

However at this point my nut fell off. After a brief panic, I used some very weak wood glue to stop it from moving sideways and I let the strings hold it in place. It's working and should be fine.

image.png.03dc50494c35503a2023d6c4446afa30.png

Unfortunately the E string is pretty much dead, compared to the other 3 strings which sounds fine. But I don't mind as I never care about the factory strings anyway. Might try the weird postie rubber strings just for kicks, but I in the long run I just plan to put some proper strings on it. I might also try cutting up my older coated strings, try to put them on and see what happens. 

After re-stringing, it takes ages before the strings stretch to wherever they should be.

Intonation is... what it is. For any bass ukes, usually this is the pain point. The G is spot on, but the D is almost a quarter tone off at 12th, and there are smaller differences for A and E as well.

Just play the low frets, or get a real uke 😜

The electronics are pretty nice, colourful accurate tuner, and a pretty wide TONE knob. I guess it's active, having a battery, but's surprisingly loud even compared to the "hot" pot setting on my Sterling Stingray. I was genuinely surprised how crappy and dull the Sterling sounds after playing the uke (but I got 1yo bummed out cobalt flat strings on the Sterling, so that's somewhat expected, I was just surprised at how big the difference was in clarity).

My biggest pain point is, there's no blue coloured uke bass. They made a blue uke... but not a bass uke. So now I got an instrument that's not blue :( 

Mildly Sansamped sound in action below. Please excuse the crappy playing, this is just a test short, I shall use this instrument properly in the near future :) 

• Like 2