Why become a member? ×

Positive band splits

The Housemartins. After a lot of success, ‘the fourth best band in Hull’ split meant two of the band,

Paul Heaton and Dave Hemingway, went on to form The Beautiful South, with Norman Cook

morphing into Fatboy Slim as well as forming Beats International and Freak Power.

When The Beautiful South split ( due to ‘musical similarities’ ) Paul Heaton continued to record

and perform with Jacqui Abbott.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Although I expect he did alright with Erasure eventually. 

I wish I knew more about him to honest. I wonder if he's still at it?

They were still gigging last year in support of their new album The Neon. Both looked a little older (as you would expect) but put on a great show 

10 hours ago, meterman said:

Ultravox, where John Foxx got to do his solo thing and the fellas he left behind managed to carry on without him. 

And adjacent to this, when sub-BCR teeny bop band Slik split, Midge Ure formed Rich Kids with Glen Matlock and then took over from both Robin Simon and John Foxx in Ultravox.

Meanwhile the rest Slik went on to form firstly the highly under-rated Zones and subsequently Set The Tone.

Bruce Dickinson replacing Paul Di'Anno upped the quality of Maiden's output no end.

The enforced split of Nirvana gave us the Foos.  Not sure where Nirvana would have gone had Cobain stayed around but I suspect they would have imploded at some point.

23 hours ago, BigRedX said:

And adjacent to this, when sub-BCR teeny bop band Slik split, Midge Ure formed Rich Kids with Glen Matlock and then took over from both Robin Simon and John Foxx in Ultravox.

Meanwhile the rest Slik went on to form firstly the highly under-rated Zones and subsequently Set The Tone.

Cough.  PVC2.  Cough.

The Rich Kids (as Matlock/New/Egan) were already formed and courting several guitarists well before Midge Ure came on board; Mick Jones of The Clash was in the early lineup.  Matlock actively pursued Ure and was rebuffed several times.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 09:24, BigRedX said:

And, in yet another development, Robin Simon joined Magazine while Midge Ure played in Visage with three OTHER members of Magazine, and his fellow Rich Kid Rusty Egan! Whew!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

When Gypie Mayo took over from Wilko I thought they got even better and they had their biggest hit with him

Gypie was a great guitarist and the Baby Jane single is a favourite of mine. Still, Wilko had a stronger and more unique identity as a guitarist and wrote all the best Feelgood originals. He apparently also had a fairly miserable time with the Solid Senders before joining the Blockheads and teaming up with Norman Watt-Roy. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 23:15, miles'tone said:

It takes a rare kind of self confidence to choose creativity over cash, always looking forward.

Heard an interview with Andy bell recently where he said vince needed two words for a song he was working on at the beginning of erasure. He said what about oh Lamour? 
Vince gave him half the songwriting credit. 
Andy also talks about how erasure bombed initially and he was sure vince would be under pressure to ditch him. But if he was he never mentioned it and always had faith in him. Anything I’ve read or heard from Andy makes me think AB is the biggest VC fan to this day. It really sweet I think. 

• Like 2

On 11/07/2023 at 15:40, cantkeepjohnnydown said:

Music history is littered with bands who lost members and were never quite the same, but occasionally there are band splits with unequivocally positive outcomes. 

My first example would be Ashleigh Hutchings leaving Fairport Convention in 1969, which led to the birth of Steeleye Span as well as Fairport recruiting Dave Pegg (and making their best album). Incredibly, Hutchings repeated the feat a couple of years later when he left Steeleye to form The Albion Band. I'd dare say no other musician has made a finer career out of forming and leaving bands!

Another example is Howard Devoto making the first seminal Buzzcocks EP and then swiftly taking off, the result of which was the formation of Magazine and the incredible blossoming of Buzzcocks as led by Pete Shelley. 

What are your examples?

Buzzcocks - this is a name of the band, right? Is it two words paired together....insteresting name for the band !!!

14 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I seem to recall a buzzcock being a colloquial name for some bird in the US, wouldn't think a Manchester punk band would've been named after one of those tho. 

Useless fact... I saw the Buzzcocks at the Vortex ( punk venue off Oxford st. London ) in 1977

This paragraph from their Wikipedia page covers the origin of the band name: 

"Devoto and Shelley chose the name "Buzzcocks" after reading the headline, "It's the Buzz, pink torpedo!", in a review of the TV series Rock Follies in Time Out magazine. The "buzz" is the excitement of playing on stage; "pink torpedo" is northern English slang meaning "friend". They thought it captured the excitement of the nascent punk scene, as well as having humorous sexual connotations following Pete Shelley's time working in a Bolton adult shop.[15]"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I seem to recall a buzzcock being a colloquial name for some bird in the US, wouldn't think a Manchester punk band would've been named after one of those tho. 

Useless fact... I saw the Buzzcocks at the Vortex ( punk venue off Oxford st. London ) in 1977

Was Devoto still with them at that point? 

5 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

No, I'm virtually certain it was Shelley as the front man when I saw them, tho I'd likely "partaken" of various substances at the time..  ;)

I saw them soon after that and it was Pete Shelley fronting them. One of the best ‘punk’ bands around

that time IMO.

• Like 2