Why become a member? ×

NBW - Dingwall D-Roc 4

JapanAxe

NBW = New Bass Week, as it is 7 days since I bought it.

I've been a Precision devotee for some years now - a good P does 95% of what I want from a bass guitar, so I had ended up with 2 actual Precisions (a '73 and a RI '63) and a Dingwall Super P 5-string. The other 5% is what you get from more than one pickup, and/or a bridge pickup on its own. Jazzes never did it for me though, and I recently started looking in earnest for an alternative. I'm not drawn to active circuits either, which narrows the field considerably.

My shortlist included the Dingwall D-Roc. Bass Direct had 4 in stock, which dropped to 3 even as I watched, but then one came up on BassChat so I arranged to check it out and duly purchased it from the gent known on here as @Jimryan.

The following day dawned with a serious case of buyer's remorse - had I blown a considerable on something I didn't really like? Then I got it out to play again, and all such thoughts swiftly evaporated. I have spent some time fettling it to suit my own preferences, which involved filing the nut slots, fitting new Elixir extra-long strings (I didn't care for the Paysons it came with), and making adjustments to the truss rod, action, and pickup heights. I spent some time at home getting used to its range of sounds and how it responds to my playing.

The major wow happened when I took it on a wedding gig last night - Demeter 800W head into BF Super Twin. Not only did it play effortlessly but it sounded phenomenal in all 4 positions on the selector switch. Those different sounds cover all the main bass pickup 'food groups'. You can get an after-market replacement switch to give you 2 more options, but tbh I think Sheldon has nailed it with the ones he's chosen. The extra tension in the low E (with a scale length of over 36 inches) meant that I could play notes on it that I would normally choose to fret on the A string, with no flub whatsoever. A friend asked me 'Is it as punchy as it looks?' and as I told him, 'punchy' is definitely within its repertoire!

The position of the strap attachment points means that it balances perfectly, and the head end is not uncomfortably hard to reach. The only downside is that the bass-side part of the lower bout sticks out where you don't expect it to, resulting in the occasional clash with (a) my cab and (b) parts of me. I've included the second photograph in an attempt to convey how sparkly the finish is - it's as sparkly as a very sparkly thing on World Sparkle Day. More so under stage lighting - we're talking Sparkly Mc Sparkleface here. The eagle-eyed may notice the absence of the black striped vinyl 'scratch plate' - that was removed before I bought the bass, a modification of which I approve 100%.

I can barely wait to play this live again - would it look out of place in a Dire Straits tribute?

t1Ixyd2.jpgqTX42uc.jpg

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Lovely bass.  I've been gassing for one of these, on and off for a while now.  I'm not allowed to buy another bass before Christmas though.

Congrats.

None in the country at the moment. There are new ones coming later in the year. Why do I even know this?

1 hour ago, Owen said:

None in the country at the moment. There are new ones coming later in the year. Why do I even know this?

Bass Direct are still showing 3 in stock, in Matt Vintage Burst, Matt Metallic Black, and Metallic Aqua Flake.

Edited by JapanAxe

7 hours ago, Machines said:

Welcome to the club. Had my 5 string since last April and it is my main gigging bass. Always gets compliments on its looks and sound.

A keeper.

PXL_20230420_193953274.thumb.jpg.cadcc6365eed62bd58cd85d0495aadb9.jpg

I never thought of standing it up like that - should be quite stable.