Why become a member? ×

Date for an Encore bass?

Aus10

I only have one photo of the bass, provided by my girlfriend who saw it at a peddler’s mall. I tried to look into Encore basses and apparently it used to be a really good brand until recently. So I’m trying to get a general date for this bass to see if it is worth buying or not. I am willing to fix it up if it has problems I’d just like to know its age. EB99045C-72EB-48F0-BDCD-B415794C5301.jpg

Yes, I will go on a date with your Encore bass, I'm pretty general.  Oh wait, that's generic.  Oh well.

In all seriousness though, the more important information would be - what currency is that?

I would be amazed if anyone could tell you how old that bass is from that single photo, and to be honest I don't think it's that important.  Regardless of when it was made, that particular bass will either be good or bad and the only way to tell is to get up close and personal with it.  You won't be able to tell if it's good or bad based upon when it was made...

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Yes, I will go on a date with your Encore bass, I'm pretty general.  Oh wait, that's generic.  Oh well.

In all seriousness though, the more important information would be - what currency is that?

I would be amazed if anyone could tell you how old that bass is from that single photo, and to be honest I don't think it's that important.  Regardless of when it was made, that particular bass will either be good or bad and the only way to tell is to get up close and personal with it.  You won't be able to tell if it's good or bad based upon when it was made...

Dollars, probably should have specified.

1 hour ago, Aus10 said:

Dollars, probably should have specified.

If it's an 80s or 90s model $129 is probably in the ballpark of what it would have cost new 30 or 40 years ago.

I used to see them in catalogues like Argos back then.

I belive they were made in India for a while, I'm sure someone else can give more details on their history.

Take into consideration 30-40 years of inflation and it's probably not a bad price, although probably at upper end of it's price range.

I picked up an old Encore P in a charity shop last year. Gave it a good clean and polish, did a fair bit of fret work (levelled, reshaped, polished) and rounded over the fretboard edges, put a Tonestyler pickup in and it is honestly one of my favourite playing basses, it just feels so nice to play and sounds great. 

£50 for the bass and £25 for the pickup. 

The mid nineties ones just have Encore on the headstock, these and older I feel are the better ones, the newer ones have Encore Blaster on the headstock. 

As with most basses there are good and bad from any era, a place we use for rehearsals has one like mine but it's terrible, it could probably be made to feel nicer but visually it doesn't do it for me. I lucked out and got some really nicely grained wood on the body and neck. 

20220219_174106.thumb.jpg.891071f9e0308690ec8dde8ba43d5485.jpg

10 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Allowing for the angle the photo was taken at, the bass appears to have an action you can drive a bus under. It might be that the truss rod just needs adjustment but if not, the neck could be sha99ed

Bit the bullet and bought the bass, haggled the seller down to an even $100 and it seems you are right. The neck is pretty bowed and I've adjusted the truss rod and it is definitely better but for sure not fixed yet, it is also missing two knobs and the electrical quality is unknown. However, it is very heavy and seems to be a good quality bass for the price if I can get it working. I plan on taking it to a repair shop to see if it is salvageable or not. If anyone would like me to take more pictures now that I've received the bass let me know!

The body doesn’t look right for one of the 80s Made In India models, but it’s hard to tell. 

Encore and Sunn, made in the 80s in India are one and the same. Same factory same parts. I have 2 Sunns which I absolutely love to bits. My favourite one, was 50 quid, but I splashed out 100 on the second one.

Good basses, if you don’t mind tidying up the sloppy fretwork and putting a decent EQ into it. But without more pics, it’s hard to know what that bass is. I’d be offering 75 for it, if it was in good Nick AND it was an Indian one.