Why become a member? ×

Barefaced

msb

A 12 Super Compact appeared on our local kijiji for $1000 Cdn. It’s about an hour’s drive away in Lunenburg. I’m well cabbed , and Herself is happy to see an amp or bass arrive at the door , but draws the line at cabs. 
We do not see Barefaced around here often. A new Super Compact is just over $1400 Cdn , and then there’s shipping taxes and duty.

And I’m divided. However I do already have Bergantino , Aguilar , Phil Jones and Ampeg cabs. 

Of the cabs I've used in the last 30 years, the best is Barefaced, followed by Bergantino and Mesa Boogie, with Ampeg a long way in the distance. I've heard others playing Aguilar cabs, and while they sound great, they are way too heavy to be of interest to me.

If you can find a used Barefaced Super Compact in good condition I'd grab it. IMO these cabs can redefine your experience of playing bass. Only an hour away? Go and listen to it. Take the cash because it will be coming home with you.

• Like 2

My Aguilar is just two pounds heavier than the Barefaced 112. It’s the SL112. My Ampeg is just the 210AV I picked up as a home use practice cab. Not a great cab , but ok. Bergs are the HDN series , a 112&210. I love those things.
And it’s an easy drive on divided highway. Our roads are not generally too crowded.

I think I’m going to hold off for a couple of hours. And see if it goes. I have a feeling it’s going to sit for a while. 
In the ad there’s a Darkglass Microtubes V1 sitting on the cab. Our nearest stocking dealer would be in Montreal. So whoever has this has good taste. We see lots of pedals but few Darkglass amps around here. 

I’ve got a TH 350 on the way to use with the SL. So I’m hanging on to that. 

I’m tempted simply by the rarity , we never see Barefaced. And I do appreciate a nice cab. So I’ll hold back for the time being and keep an eye on this. As it didn’t immediately sell I think it might be around for a while. Most folk here have never heard of Barefaced.

I’m hooked on kijiji. Over the years I’ve found quite a bit of stuff there , some great deals , and some not so great deals. 

I began with  USP tracking , and had regular updates , but the moment it’s left the international depot for customs , everything goes quiet. In the past Can Post has not continued any updates until it’s out for delivery , or delivered. 

… sometimes I’m contacted to pay duty in advance , sometimes it’s just held at the post office and I pay when I pick it up. It’s never consistent.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 18:43, msb said:

I’ve got a TH 350 on the way to use with the SL. So I’m hanging on to that. 

I’m tempted simply by the rarity , we never see Barefaced. And I do appreciate a nice cab. So I’ll hold back for the time being and keep an eye on this. As it didn’t immediately sell I think it might be around for a while. Most folk here have never heard of Barefaced.

I’m hooked on kijiji. Over the years I’ve found quite a bit of stuff there , some great deals , and some not so great deals. 

I own a Barefaced Super Compact which I pair with a GK MB 800. That one cab can keep up with a very loud drummer. I have a friend who I saw trying to keep up with a loudish drummer and a very loud guitarist with his TH 500 and SL12 but was drowned out. I've noticed he takes both his SL112 cabs to his gigs now just to make sure he can be heard.

The Super Compact can take a lot of power without complaining. Of course you may not need that level of volume with the bands you play with.

Saying that, I now own a Markbass CMD 121P which can go even louder that the Barefaced and the GK MB 800, if needed. So the Super Compact may be on the market soon.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

The outfits I play in are not real loud at all , and my gig rig is more than adequate. So I’m looking for tone over volume. Home practice at a low volume , and the odd band rehearsal (not real loud). 

A surprising number of players here have never heard of Barefaced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msb said:

The outfits I play in are not real loud at all , and my gig rig is more than adequate. So I’m looking for tone over volume. Home practice at a low volume , and the odd band rehearsal (not real loud). 

A surprising number of players here have never heard of Barefaced.

You can become the local barefaced Messiah.

2 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Probably because they're not distributed in Canada or the US.

Barefaced don't have dealers. They sell direct, and will ship worldwide, assuming you're willing to pay! 

I've had my BT2 since 2013 and have no plans to part with it. It just keeps on delivering. The only way I'd be tempted to part from it would be to get the new BT3 - although I don't really like the new script-y logo! 

A friend picked it up this afternoon. Her primary instrument is baritone sax , but she’s been playing bass for several years now , she’s a music teacher. And easily the most in demand bari player in the region. She was asking me about the cab at the jam last night. The seller also had a Darkglass MicroTubes 500 v1 , and she picked up that as well. 

So now she has one killer little rig! I’m happy to see it go to her. 

• Like 3

Last night I dropped over to see the cab and head my friend picked up. She got a Darkglass MicroTubes 500 v1 with the SC112.

First thing I did was pick up the cab , and the weight brought a smile. And then we dialed in the amp , and I was encouraging her to spin the knobs. She was amp shy at first , but was quickly over that. Most of the amp tuning was at fairly low levels , but we did check it out at volume. 
… nice! 
I love that cab. It would be fun to do a side by side comparison to my Berg HDN112.

She seemed to move to a fairly traditional old school thump. She likes her bass bassy.

She was delighted to pick up a “forever cab” as her first one.

• Like 3

Yup. I suppose you can’t have everything. Where would you put it?
Many players here have never heard of Barefaced so it was a surprise to see one surface. It certainly lived up to the hype. I’m sitting on too much stuff as it is , but I was beyond last night when I had a chance to hear it.

I can always bite the bullet and have one shipped here , but aside from Barefaced there’s some others I’d love to try. There’s Audio Kinesis from around the Dallas area although at the moment his shop is in limbo. He has some interior baffles you can adjust … and many that have those rave about them. 
And they seem to be making some neat stuff in Italy these days. Thinking of GR Bass and Jad Freer.

Today I’m expecting the post to bring a nice little amp. A mini Aguilar TH350.