Why become a member? ×

Light Rope - something to decorate your stage!

Woodinblack

I was in tesco a while back and there was a flamingo lamp, we got it as we have a friend that loves flamingo stuff. I noticed it was just an outline channel of a flamingo and some lit pvc rope with pink lights in it. Wondered if that was common so trotted off to ebay and sure enough, tons of light rope there in lots of colours. Wonder if I can make a sign with this - trot off to youtube, and sure enough, people making signs (isn't the internet great).

So as green is sort of my bands colour, I bought 5M of green rope, which is just over a tenner - like this:

IMG_2230 (2).jpeg

, I had some plastic sheet, so cut that down to 60cm by about 30, did a scrolly font on a piece of paper, got some gorilla glue (great stuff) and wired it all up on the plastic.

Probably joined more letters than I should as I didn't want to have a million wires, and there is a dead led at the end of the r underline.

IMG_6283.jpeg

Its not perfect, but it occupies a place between incredibly naff and absolutely awesome, but I am pretty happy with it! 

The first L is a bit squiffy - you literally have seconds with that glue before it sticks and I left it too long. in fact the ls are a bit too loose, but I am ok with that.

IMG_6292.jpeg

Not sure what to put on the back, but next night gig, this is coming with me!

IMG_6291.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

• Woodinblack changed the title to Light Rope - something to decorate your stage!

Yes, its on clear acrylic. The wiring isn't very tidy at the moment, I have just temporarily wired it up (as I was getting a little tired by the time I finished it) - I need to neeten it up and also work out how to make a frame or something to give it a bit of strength so I can take it to gigs. It will eventually have a little power connector to connect to a 12V psu (I have several of them. It should take about 1.5A at 12v, altjhough in that picture it is running at about 10v at 1a as my bench PSU is actually current limiting

• Like 1

Currently it looks like this so needs some tidying.

IMG_6294.jpeg

I will probably run the white leads along the backs of the letters to near the edge - I haven't decided on a backing, my wife things I should use mirrored acrylic, which is an option. I do need a frame or something to both hang it on and give it strength to not bend, not sure what to make that of yet!

• Like 3

Yes, there is all sorts of colours, as well as the colour changing stuff. I suspect there would be individually addressable too, but at a big price hike. Ultimately the stuff is the normal LED strips in a silicon sleve of the same colour, so the options should be quite wide.

I was surprised at how good it was in tight corners (and impressed with the gorilla glue for the same thing. The first youtube video I saw the guy doing it used pliers to really pinch the edges and they held fine.

The youtube video I saw the guy also used end clips to connect to the cable, which are obviously cleaner, but I didn't have any and was too lazy to search for them, so I just soldered directly to the LED strips which even with my shakey hands these days, was pretty easy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I will probably run the white leads along the backs of the letters to near the edge - I haven't decided on a backing, my wife things I should use mirrored acrylic, which is an option. I do need a frame or something to both hang it on and give it strength to not bend, not sure what to make that of yet!

Aluminium extrusion? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303140120813

Corners: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403675119885

And use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394102908259 and some screws to hold the plastic sheet to the frame.

Edited by tauzero
T-nuts, they call me T-nuts