Why become a member? ×

Keeping it real

Rayman

So I’m sure, that when you or your band are successful, you’re very busy, and you receive a ton of messages via social media, that take a lot of time to respond to, and it’s probably impossible to respond to more than a select few.

However, every so often, I’ll message the occasional musician via Instagram messages usually. Just with a brief message. Dave Swift, who frankly is a total legend, always replies…. Tim Lefevre replied to me, and a few others too. As long as you don’t take the mick and try to be best buds, mostly, bass players are cool.

However, there are exceptions. I messaged a bass player, in a well known funk pop band with a bit of a diva frontman who likes hats. I mentioned that myself and Mrs Rayman were getting married soon and going to see his aforementioned band play live at an open air festival thing. I asked if there was any chance of a “quick hello” and picture as part of our pre wedding celebrations, it would mean a lot.

He read the message, and never replied. Not even with “Sorry, it’s not possible, but good luck with your wedding”….. nothing. Obviously he’s too big time to respond to fans and fellow bass players?

Whatever

These folk do not owe you anything - and you shouldn't assume what pulls they may have on their time or reasoning for responding to, or not responding to your message.

I think if I was a celeb, I would be very wary of responding to anything. You never know who people really are... or what associations may be presumed from such interactions.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

These folk do not owe you anything - and you shouldn't assume what pulls they may have on their time or reasoning for responding to, or not responding to your message.

I think if I was a celeb, I would be very wary of responding to anything. You never know who people really are... or what associations may be presumed from such interactions.

Agree with this. Met a few actors and the amount of approaches they get is incredible. They can be nice for 99.9% if the time but if they snap, it’s all over social media and the press.

Loads of famous people (like proper famous, not bass players) refuse to read and respond to DMs because half of them are negative. (Let’s be honest, you weren’t very nice about his band!)

My son is an actor and they are ( back at acting school ) taught how to respond to the public with regards Multi Media platforms. 

Some heed this advice and some don’t and often get dragged into an online dispute about something trivial. 

My son is getting familiar with the potential paparazzi issues and “ Joe Public” that will soon come his way if his success continues. 

He is currently on set filming season 2 of a Sci Fi show  for SKY and naturally I’m very proud of him. 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, Rayman said:

So I’m sure, that when you or your band are successful, you’re very busy, and you receive a ton of messages via social media, that take a lot of time to respond to, and it’s probably impossible to respond to more than a select few.

However, every so often, I’ll message the occasional musician via Instagram messages usually. Just with a brief message. Dave Swift, who frankly is a total legend, always replies…. Tim Lefevre replied to me, and a few others too. As long as you don’t take the mick and try to be best buds, mostly, bass players are cool.

However, there are exceptions. I messaged a bass player, in a well known funk pop band with a bit of a diva frontman who likes hats. I mentioned that myself and Mrs Rayman were getting married soon and going to see his aforementioned band play live at an open air festival thing. I asked if there was any chance of a “quick hello” and picture as part of our pre wedding celebrations, it would mean a lot.

He read the message, and never replied. Not even with “Sorry, it’s not possible, but good luck with your wedding”….. nothing. Obviously he’s too big time to respond to fans and fellow bass players?

Whatever

He probably never even got it. PR team got in the way.

Isnt there a nice story about him on here though with a bass chatter at promenade in morecambe?

49 minutes ago, la bam said:

He probably never even got it. PR team got in the way.

Nah, he doesn’t have PR.

I just sent him a message about it. Said he CBA to reply and doesn’t believe in the institution of marriage anyway.

😜

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rayman said:

Whatever

Big thumbs up for Dave Swift who, when approached, arranged for a donated bass and a top hat to be signed for one of the Herts Bashes as well as a guest pass for me to see the Jules Holland r'n'r Orchestra and get back stage.

I actually met the behatted front man at a Shelter (the homeless charity) benefit football event. 

Very approachable, he and other members of the band ( not Mr Zender, unfortunately) signed a couple of footballs we went on to raffle,  posed for photos used to promote a local benefit gig we subsequently arranged and was generally a very nice man. 

Not all the celebs at the event were as approachable...no names mentioned...Amon Dalbarn

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

Some of you know I recently posted a video  I performed in on my socials. 

Except for you guys I got very little response. I even had issues getting close friends to take 2 minutes to watch the video 

Blue 

Edited by Bluewine
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Some of you know I recently posted a video  I performed in on my socials. 

Except for you guys I got very little response. I even had issues getting close friends to take 2 minutes to watch the video 

Blue 

I get the same with my family. They’re much happier sharing pictures of their kids!

I liked your video.