Why become a member? ×

A good home has been found: Tanglewood TW55A Acoustic electric bass
£1
Warwickshire

tredders

A few years ago, I listed a Steinberger Spirit bass as a give away to someone who could use it (and not just sell it on).  It went to a musical therapy room being setup by one of the members here.

I've been having a recent clear out of my music room, and I've had this sitting in a rack for years, and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've picked it up and played it.

It's actually really nice, and quite a high end Tanglewood acoustic bass.  I've plugged it in and everything works as it should, and it's pretty loud just played acoustically.  I just literally don't have a use for it.  I think I originally bought it when I thought I was going to make my fortune by performing hundreds of MTV Unplugged gigs, and of course none of those gigs happened 😀

Details of the bass here:

https://reverb.com/item/13494720-tanglewood-tw55a-natural-acoustic-bass-guitar-pre-owned

There's one on eBay for 890 Euros!!  Stock photo here:

i-w9sqpwN-XL.jpg

Sounds good, has stayed in tune for years, and I can't see a mark on it.   I don't think I have a gig bag for it, so this will have to be an in-person handover.  I'm just off j12 M40 (South of Leamington).

As before, I'd like this to go to someone who could really use it - I'd be disappointed if it just instantly ended up on eBay.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a charity, but someone who's maybe wanted one for a while and doesn't have the spare cash to buy one.

Let me know if anyone is interested.  I'm away with work until Tuesday of next week (4th July) but I'm checking Basschat regularly (of course!)

A good home has now been found for this.  Thanks to all who showed interest.

Edited by tredders
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

I'm actually getting far more interest (and messages) than I anticipated on this.

Have to say though, without sounding like a d*ck, if someone already has 12 basses, and are actively buying more in the For Sale section, I'm not going to give this to them - they can afford to buy their own.  My idea was to help someone out who perhaps couldn't afford this, or to donate it to a music-related charity.   

As I mentioned in the (edited) post, I'll leave this to run until Sunday (I'm in the US with work at the moment, so 5 hours behind the UK) and then see what's what.

• Like 8

I would love to take it off your hands, and will even be in the midlands next week, but alas I don't think I'd have a use for it either so I suspect it'd just be a nice to have that gathers dust. I realise this is no help at all, but if you really don't get any decent offers I'm in Redditch next Tuesday and Wednesday and can try and think of a project to use it for to take it off your hands.

@tredders

I used to teach music in prisons and we were always needing decent instruments. Billy Bragg donated some through his Jail Guitar Doors charity, which was really helpful. 
Whatever people’s thoughts/attitudes are towards the “residents” and the crimes they commit, Music is a powerful way of teaching some important life skills such as listening, deferring to others, being creative, performance, confidence, team work, patience, perspective taking, etc. 

If you have a prison near you, get in touch with them maybe? Education dept or chaplaincy are usually where us Care Bears work. 

Ps I’ve seen a fair bit of criminal bass playing in my time. 😂

Edited by oldslapper
  • Like 6

I'm pleased to say that this has now found a very deserving new home.  It'll be with the new owner next week when I'm back from my trip.  I know it'll be used and useful, which was my aim out of this.

Thanks to all those who showed interest.  I'll keep checking the garage and music room to see if there's anything else going spare...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

• tredders changed the title to A good home has been found: Tanglewood TW55A Acoustic electric bass