Why become a member? ×

Belated NBD- 83 SQ Squier Precision

lee650

Bit late with this one, as ive been doing a little light cosmetic Modding. I recently bought this Black 83 SQ Squire Precision from the always fantastic ead. I've owned a white JV jazz for the last 30 years and always wanted a Precision counterpart, but they've gone fairly expensive. These were made at the same time as the JV's but at a lower price point as they weren't vintage reissues, but a standard style P bass for the time (pretty much a 70s style).

The quality is on par with my JV it's fairly light for a 40 year old MIJ, it came with a fairly chunky fender style bridge, which looked very shiny compared to the nice mojod tuners. I had a Gotoh Reliced vintage Bridge which I fitted as well as some reliced Barrel knobs. I've also replaced the original black pickguard with what I believe is a Bass Doc burgundy Tort(sourced by our own Walshy), which has been nicely reliced so in keeping with the bass (NOTE- despite being an MIJ bass, I have fitted two USA spec pickguards, so it is a true 70s spec)

The neck was also lightly sanded, it felt so nice, I took the neck off my JV jazz and lightly sanded it with wire wool (0000) abdcits lovely and matt now.

It had also been upgraded with a CTS Kiagon loom and a fender original 62 pickup, it sounds very warm and smooth, I'm very smitten with this bass😍 it came with some lovely TI flats, which as much as I love I find flats don't cut through live (for me anyway) so I've put a set of fairly new DR Pure Blues, which actually have a very warm abd smooth midrange and sound very nice when worn in.

Such a great bass and such high quality for a supposed "budget" instrument, I think they just used much nicer woods I those days.

20230531_201404.jpg

20230608_170246.jpg

20230608_120202.jpg

20230608_195805.jpg

20230609_113823.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, Rayman said:

All the basses you’ll ever need right there.

Absolutely, but ive a couple of Spectors too (Euro 4 and 5) but if the need ever arose, I could happily gig the two squires. Mind you I now have Gas for a 90s Stingray 5 🤣

• Like 1

• lee650 changed the title to Belated NBD- 83 SQ Squier Precision

Lovely looking bass! For me this is the nicest p-bass combo.

On 14/06/2023 at 22:20, lee650 said:

I think they just used much nicer woods I those days

Probably true! And at the risk of starting a wood flame war (see what I did there?!) I wonder if the age of the wood is a factor? We know that as the wood ages it dries out becomes stiffer and vibrates differently: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1296207412000404

With these 80's basses they have had 40 odd years to dry and age.

Anyway! Congratulations on the bass - looks stellar!

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 08:37, Rayman said:

All the basses you’ll ever need right there.

"..you’ll ever need right there...."

Who are you?? His wife??

Leave him alone - @lee650, you go and buy anything you want. It's your money, you work hard for it - don't be worried about buying more gear.

"..you’ll ever need right there..." Perlease!!

😉😉

• Haha 3