Why become a member? ×

FRFR for bass & synth

xgsjx

I currently play my bass into my laptop & use a virtual rig. This is hosted in Logic & I use my Roli Rise to play synth bass via VSTi synths.  I’m getting a hardware synth fairly soon & plan on putting the bass through a pre amp DI & doing away with the laptop. 

Currently just playing through the studio’s PA.  But I’m wanting to get my own set up. 
I’m thinking about getting the RCF Art 912a & a small mixer, but would I be better opting for the 915?
I’ll be using this similar to how I did my previous bass rig.  Small-medium gigs using this & taking a line out to the house PA from the mixer on the gigs that have PA.

I wouldn't move from the 912 to the 915 - I'd go to the 732.  I no longer own one but I played bass guitar through mine and a little bit of synth. It is very good sound quality, and loud - will definitely do small-medium gigs. 

The 9 series looks nice, is newer but heavier than the 7 series.
The middle number is key though - compression driver voice coil... (3 is better than 1).

What was your previous rig?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll have a look at the 732. 

My previous rig was a Radiovox valve amp into an EBS 4x10. Bit of a large rig for lugging around & about 100 times heavier than the Markbass 2x10 combo I had prior. 😂

22 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Consider also an active PA cab like the QSC K12.2, it's popular with some members on here and Kemper Profiler users like it too.

The RCF cabs I’m looking at are active, but I’ll have a nosey at the QSC. :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

We've got a pair of both the 912As and 732As as our PA speakers, and I put bass through them both. 

I'd say the 912As are perfectly good for bass (maybe a touch better?) 

The 732As are the way to go if you want to also use them for vocals. 

• Thanks 1

I'd go along with @Al Krow about which RCF to use if it is strictly for bass but if you are going to use synth for anything with significant mid range content then the bigger horn drivers will make a real difference. To be honest the nicest sound I get is out of my RCF310's on poles. I have RCF 745's for PA and the little 10's sound every bit as good for bass, but not for vocals. I've used QSC12-2's in the past; the horns in the RCF's sound sweeter but the QSC's are fine speakers if a bit heavy.

The LFsys are an interesting option as they are designed specifically for bass, they would have better power handling of the lowest frequencies and a wooden cab compared with the plastic moulded cab of the PA speakers. They'd need an amp though. It would give you the option of going down to a 10" lightweight cab though if you went for the LFS Monza. currently on a special offer to BC'ers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...