Why become a member? ×

The 1975

White Cloud

I agree. I'm a bloke in his 60s who grew up on Zeppelin (first gig I ever went to) but I think they're great - not all their stuff and not all the time - but in Matty Healy they have an engaging frontman and like all unique bands their dynamic is unusual: he and the drummer write most of the material and produce it. Favourite tunes are: Somebody Else (the studio session where Matty and the guitarist - also on keyboards - are the only two playing), Robbers (great bass line), 'fallingforyou' (live at the O2 from about ten years ago) and I'm In Love With You (the official video). Great fun. 

• Like 1

Yes, love them. Just great pop music with a real 80's vibe. The 1975 and Chvrches are my two favourite contemporary bands right now. 

The only issue I have is that I can't watch them live as I find the singer, Matty, really quite obnoxious. Other than that I'm a big fan. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 1

I wouldn't want to overstate the case for them. It is 'just' pop music and not all of it that good. I find their albums quite odd. Their albums get amazing reviews and awards but there's an awful lot of electronic faffing around between a few real songs. Every album starts (IIRC) with a sort of instrumental intro all of which are called 'The 1975'. I don't buy much of their stuff - just watch video clips of them in concert. 

As for the name, they were called something like Music For Cars or Drive My Car and weren't getting anywhere (like U2 they all met at school aged about 15) and the frontman had an old copy of Kerouac's On The Road in which whoever'd owned it before him had written, instead of the date they bought it, 'The 1975' which stuck in his mind. I don' think it's a great name. You tend to think that's the vintage of the stuff they play. They come from south Manchester near where I grew up. 

Edited by Kitsto

I think they are great, big unapologetic sing along pop with some darker lyrics and themes to discover when you listen properly.

They have been touring with a big band recently, and they have a polished big sound which is something you don’t really see much of now. It kind of reminds me of some big acts of the 80s and 90s in terms of production.

On 09/06/2023 at 22:23, Old Horse Murphy said:

Yes, love them. Just great pop music with a real 80's vibe. The 1975 and Chvrches are my two favourite contemporary bands right now. 

Chvrches are great , I've liked them since I saw them at Glastonbury not long ago (only on the telly though).