Why become a member? ×

IT'S HERE! (pics in page 2) - Succumbed to Sire!

Ander87

Hey gang! I'll start by saying I've often been a bass brand snob, but life has taught me there's more than gear that I need money for, and recently I've gone around selling lots of stuff and downsizing. For context, it's been rare to see me buy a bass of less than £1k so this is a nice turn of events - and boy I've been missing out...!

Recently I came across a Fender Precision MIM in Lake Placid Blue for £450 that I modded for just some bits and trades and now I have a very very very killer/competent bass with the EMG GZR P for about £520 net...

After the cull and sorting money for some projects, wife invited me to 'keep the change and buy yourself something nice' - of course, it was gonna be a bass...

I've just ordered it this morning so I'm hoping that forum will help me whilst I spend the week looking out the window - the reward? Pictures and a review of the Sire V5R in Mild Green (2nd Gen). It's in budget and didn't want to wait around or drive to collect etc, £399 free shipped via Thomann.

I'm a sucker for pastel colours and even if I already have this on my Stingray, I was more interested in this combo rather than Natural/Sunburst.

Having a Stingray and a Precision it made sense to get a Jazz for my 3rd wall hanger, and I'm set to myth bust that 'Sire is as good as MIA Fender / Better than MIM Fender' that I've been hearing for so long :D. Not expecting a miracle, just something to compliment the tones and playability of the Precision on stage whilst the Stingray covers all the recording ground and nice/safe gigs.

I've not seen a lot about this particular bass, but rosewood fingerboard with blocks & bound, alongside passive electronics and roasted neck... Yep, way to go. Again, rosewood is the only board of interest I didn't have as the precision is maple and the stingray is ebony...

...I just wanted to invite folk to share their comments on this bass, positives? negatives? Picture for interest:

image.png.2a94484b3b11ebaa9625f441d9ca2bbd.png

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 20

Yeah I think it’s a great time to look into the sub £600 range tbh 😅 and buying new and delivered free felt a great treat instead of driving half the country to collect/trade/deal/pickup over what I really can afford 😅

Edited by Ander87

Yes! I was considering regular v5/8 (Thomann has a v8 b stock for £580!) but having the stingray I wanted as much instrument without electronics so I chose passive. 

the V3p looked really nice, I could’ve well gone for the Sonic Blue for more colour variation but I couldn’t resist the roasted neck and binding/blocks so here we go again 2 teal basses haha

the hanger is ready waiting;

282b05fe-0d59-4c48-bca3-326d2f5c4817.thumb.jpeg.8467e4aea95b240ee21d317e9c8e6379.jpeg

Best,

Ander. 

• Like 3

Haha I'm getting really excited, funny enough this is the cheapest bass I've ever bought followed by my Fender MiM Precision so I'm really looking forwards to trying it out.

I know that these 'edgeless' fretboards is the marketing name for rolled edges frets but they do look very heavily rounded, will be interesting to see I reckon - the pictures make for very good finishes but won't be able to judge until it's in my hands I guess.

• Like 1

Just now, leroydiamond said:

Played a Sadowsky NYC for years and then my brother introduced me to his Sire V7. omg. Seriously impressive instruments in every way other than the weight being 10lb +.

Wow! Yep I find myself missing a punchy jazz tone - didn't want to do active electronics though, and youtube makes the passive Sires sound very authoritative, but what do I know, I know that can be deceiving - worth a try though...!

Also heard that the weights were more of an issue of the gen 1, the v2 seeeeem to have remedied that a bit more and stay around 4kg - hopefully that's the case, long as it's not a boat anchor...!

Ander.

32 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Wow! Yep I find myself missing a punchy jazz tone - didn't want to do active electronics though, and youtube makes the passive Sires sound very authoritative, but what do I know, I know that can be deceiving - worth a try though...!

Also heard that the weights were more of an issue of the gen 1, the v2 seeeeem to have remedied that a bit more and stay around 4kg - hopefully that's the case, long as it's not a boat anchor...!

Ander.

My brothers Sire was a gen 1. If they get the weight right well that's a home run. With basses of this quality available for so little money, I for one would be very happy to have it as my go to. Over the years I have spent a fair bit of time putting boutique and vintage basses through my hands. I am retired from playing for a while, but if I was ever to go back playing, I would get a Sire and leave it at that.

Edited by leroydiamond

45 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Yep I find myself missing a punchy jazz tone - didn't want to do active electronics though,

You can always add a preamp pedal should the need arise, all of my basses have a Sadowsky preamp, in that they go through an SBP2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

You can always add a preamp pedal should the need arise, all of my basses have a Sadowsky preamp, in that they go through an SBP2.

Exactly my reasoning mate! My Capo does an awful lot of tone shaping now, it really has made my active preamp redundant really - just a bit of muscle on the bass and treble and my passive basses have punched a bloody lot!

Off topic but that pedal has just changed my sound so so so much, it is shocking - defo my 'one pedal to an island' kind of thing, makes me wonder even whether I need a compressor and I could even live without an extra distortion - I just have it for extra niceness lol but yeah...!

Ander.

• Like 1

I played the first two songs at our gig tonight thinking that my Sire didn't quite have the usual "punch". Then I realised I'd accidentally flicked it onto passive mode. The other band members didn't notice. It's got a lovely passive/active balance.

Tonight I learned: The treble knob doesn't really do much tbh once the strings are a couple of weeks old - all the twang is in the swept middle knob

• Like 1

I played one of their 2nd gen J basses (can't remember which. Sunburst, maple neck with blocks. Maybe a V7?) and was really impressed with it. The neck was very slim front to back and felt great. I'm not usually a fan of active basses, but that preamp was pretty great too.

Congrats on your new bass, I'm sure it'll be great. Just hope the wait doesn't kill you, not too long to go now!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I played one of their 2nd gen J basses (can't remember which. Sunburst, maple neck with blocks. Maybe a V7?) and was really impressed with it. The neck was very slim front to back and felt great. I'm not usually a fan of active basses, but that preamp was pretty great too.

Congrats on your new bass, I'm sure it'll be great. Just hope the wait doesn't kill you, not too long to go now!

Aha! yep I was tempted for the V7/new V8 - Thomann has a B Stock one for £580 which is quite nice against new £700something... but then again with the Capo and my pedals I don't neeeeed an active, and do still want to have the Stingray at work if I need active...

Haha just being dramatic, waiting a week for a bass isn't really the biggest struggle but I'll be hoping it's Thursday instead of Friday :D will hopefully test it on Friday at our Slim Jim's rig and report back...!

I liked the V7/V8s but I was less keen on the colours and don’t need active bass this time… and only rosewood missing in my trio of basses which I think it’s fundamental sometimes…!

Ander 

20 minutes ago, andruca said:

I've just succumbed too, loving my V3. Unfortunately not as good looking as the V5R you're getting  ❤️

but you’re blessed with that solid playing my man! I was REALLY considering the sonic blue V3 but roasted maple won me over in the end. 

Un saludo 😉!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ander87 said:

but you’re blessed with that solid playing my man! I was REALLY considering the sonic blue V3 but roasted maple won me over in the end. 

Un saludo 😉!

Flattering but funny at the same time. Lately I've been struggling to lay down some fast HC bass tracks for my own band (100% picking). I have this tendency to chase the drums and it doesn't always work right. Definitely doesn't work with quantized drums in the 200BPM zone 😢

• Like 1