Why become a member? ×

35 minutes ago, nilorius said:

What about You? What's Your favourite drink when You, know for shure, You will play with, let's say, j-bass ? Tell us, don't be scared !

Meths of course Jimmy... 

Jazz bass, nah, I've tried a few and just couldn't like them, tho I'd admit to a PJ now.. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been playing bass for 45 years. I have both P and J basses.  For me it almost always a P bass that will I will go to first.  I’ve never had and issue dialing in my sound with a P. With a single adjustment of the tone knob the sound palate changes considerably. 
A J, I’m constantly fighting for the sound I want. 

Funnily enough I've never found a P bass I enjoy playing. And I only ever found an enjoyable jazz bass once, that was a serious custom shop jobby for about a grand more than a new ACG.

As a result, I have no Fenders.

To me they're like a Vauxhall Vectra, everyone's got one, even though they're just a bit rubbish and just trading on the Viva name :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can`t remember where it was but I read something along the lines of if you want a Precision to sit in the mix without jumping out at you to cut at around 400/500, whereas with a Jazz to achieve the same cut at around 1000/1200. Certainly worked for me, up until that point I`d never been able to get a Jazz to sound as I wanted whereas this just delivered.

As a newish user of a Jazz bass i still love the simplicity of my PBass and its tone. It’s hard to beat however …

A nice Jazz offers a different variation in tone which I’ve recently experimented with.. 

Tried Dimarzio DP123BK pickups, 

Tried Rotosound RS66LD strings, 

I still gig with my PBass though !! 

2 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

As a newish user of a Jazz bass i still love the simplicity of my PBass and its tone. It’s hard to beat however …

A nice Jazz offers a different variation in tone which I’ve recently experimented with.. 

Tried Dimarzio DP123BK pickups, 

Tried Rotosound RS66LD strings, 

I still gig with my PBass though !! 

I still don't love ballet !!

I was a longtime Pbass player. They just sounded richer than a Jazz to me. And I like the simplicity of two knobs. The thing with knobs is the more you have , the more time you spend fiddling with them.

But now I prefer short scales and tend to use non Fender shaped objects. I’m not quite sure just how that happened , but I’m ok with it.

43 minutes ago, msb said:

I was a longtime Pbass player. They just sounded richer than a Jazz to me. And I like the simplicity of two knobs. The thing with knobs is the more you have , the more time you spend fiddling with them.

But now I prefer short scales and tend to use non Fender shaped objects. I’m not quite sure just how that happened , but I’m ok with it.

Pray the Lord !

I thought this was going to be serious. Then I realized I was on BassChat.

My first ever bass was a Jazz. (It was a random pick) And I was never satisfied (or so I thought) because I couldn't get "that" sound. Although it did cut thru. EVERYTHING.

A band alumni came by the high school and was selling a fretless P bass w/ maple neck. So I had two basses, until I came back from college, and sold the J.

I played all sorts of music on the P. Aggressive. Round wound nickels. Wore two necks out.

Bought a Pedulla PentaBuzz w/ Bartoloni P/Js. Hated that combo. (the bass played like a dream.)

I get misty-eyed thinking about that J., but those f*ckers are noisy.

So I guess it IS a choice between a fart and a belch.

I was a working musician for 30+ years.....when I used a P tone, my pay never really increased......however, as the cost of living went up and I used a J, my pay still didn't really increase......so, I became a RN, started a YouTube channel for bass, and really don't care a whole lot about P vs J discussions <shrug> 😁

Edited by Rib13Bass

Seeing as I’m not into Fender shaped stuff these days , and having developed a preference for short scales , I often decide between these two. 
The Gibson Jr has a humbucker in the classic sweet spot , has two knob simplicity. It acts much like a Pbass , although it has a set neck. This little thing can roar.
A vintage HiFlier. Flats. Two single coil P90 style pickups , I admit the VVT concept is more fluid than TV and a toggle switch. But this is surprisingly fast to dial in. And is much thumpier than any Jazz I’ve played. And takes an enormous seat in a mix. It’s also cool as all heck.

IMG_6777.jpeg

IMG_6775.jpeg

• Like 1