Why become a member? ×

Where is the best place to find a band of session work ?

fiatcoupe432

After( finally) few years I feel I'm ready to start to gig again. I had some health issues that stopped but feeling as good as new. 

I was wonder9bg where is the best online place to look for a band or session work ? Tried join my band and bandmix but there is nothing really that attracts my attention . Looking for something a bit more serious in someway.  Any tips, tricks, advices? 

Thank you in advance 

Tony

Other than ones I was part of from the get go, I joined all of my bands by answering or posting ads on Gumtree. I found it to be much better than the other solutions. Plus it's free. My location might help though. There is always something going on in Bristol!

• Like 1

JMB and Bandmix are primarily for amateur and maybe semi-pro outfits and musicians. Nowt wrong with that, but you will find little if any "session work" via either. You can find things (I have) through them, but it is very unlikely to be on your first try. You just have to keep looking and following up on anything that sounds promising. Be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet a handsome prince.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

You don’t say where you’re based, which will make a difference to opportunities.

But, my advice is to go out and network in the physical world. Go to gigs, jam nights, local festivals etc. Talk to people, make yourself known. Work your ‘black book’ of contacts if you have one. My experience is that good slots with bands that are already gigging and/or recording rarely make it to adverts. Places are filled on word-of-mouth or personally known players.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

You don’t say where you’re based, which will make a difference to opportunities.

But, my advice is to go out and network in the physical world. Go to gigs, jam nights, local festivals etc. Talk to people, make yourself known. Work your ‘black book’ of contacts if you have one. My experience is that good slots with bands that are already gigging and/or recording rarely make it to adverts. Places are filled on word-of-mouth or personally known players.

Just what I would have said too Len

• Like 1

Can’t give advice about the best place to find a band but for session work either be based in a decent sized city that has a lot of music going on, or be within easy commuting distance to one. Your favoured choice of genre might focus your search as well. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear you’re recovering btw!

Get your “online” presence out there. 

Videos of yourself playing, something about yourself, links to any music/videos you’d be happy for others to view (and you have permission to share) then put it all on YouTube, FB, Instagram, etc. with # to genre/location/etc.

The drummer I’ve worked with most over the past few years did exactly that.

She videoed herself doing some covers, with fairly lights on her kit (that was her only gimmick). The Darkness were forwarded a link of her cover of one of their songs, they liked her playing, and she ended up touring and recording with them, and now is incredibly busy.

Self promotion, using social media is now the “postcard in a guitar shop” or ad in melody maker.

Best of luck. 

Edited by oldslapper

On 26/05/2023 at 22:15, MichaelDean said:

Other than ones I was part of from the get go, I joined all of my bands by answering or posting ads on Gumtree. I found it to be much better than the other solutions. Plus it's free. My location might help though. There is always something going on in Bristol!

Thank you ! I don't ming commuting.  Did that with previous band . Had to travel 1.5 hours to get to rehearsal.  Bristol is a great place to be for sure 

13 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Ahah sorry. I'm in South Devon but ad I have said above I don't mind commuting ( actually an excuse to get out of tge house mire often) . I have been out of the loop a bit and also moved since when I used to play live form York to south Devon so obviously that don't help, hence I was asking if there is a platform online and I have not notice or didn't know about.  The old networking always seems to have the result out of it all 

9 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Glad to hear you’re recovering btw!

Get your “online” presence out there. 

Videos of yourself playing, something about yourself, links to any music/videos you’d be happy for others to view (and you have permission to share) then put it all on YouTube, FB, Instagram, etc. with # to genre/location/etc.

The drummer I’ve worked with most over the past few years did exactly that.

She videoed herself doing some covers, with fairly lights on her kit (that was her only gimmick). The Darkness were forwarded a link of her cover of one of their songs, they liked her playing, and she ended up touring and recording with them, and now is incredibly busy.

Self promotion, using social media is now the “postcard in a guitar shop” or ad in melody maker.

Best of luck. 

Thank you mate !! 

Health always comes first. That sounds absolutely amazing and crazy at the same time . Sometimes all you need is a bit of luck( obviously your friend put a lot of effort ) . I will be doing the same 

Thanks for the advice guys

• Like 1