Why become a member? ×

Beeswax for screw lubricant

lidl e

Which screws? Machine, wood?

For machine screws nearly any oil is better than no oil at all. The only exception is if you need thread lock (nail lacquer for soft, thread lock for hard). Thicker oils and greases tend to stick better in threads.

2 hours ago, itu said:

Which screws? Machine, wood?

For machine screws nearly any oil is better than no oil at all. The only exception is if you need thread lock (nail lacquer for soft, thread lock for hard). Thicker oils and greases tend to stick better in threads.

For a bass. Pickguard, bridge and pickups screws

6 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Old Candle or Solid Soap Bar...

Make sure ya pilot holes are deep enough, and the correct size - I'm looking at you headstock wiv ya machine heads and rounded head screws...

SO can i ask about pilot holes?

SHould they be as deep as the screw is going to go or a little less so? i use a drill bit the same size as the screw without the threads, yeah?

I have to do them for pickups, bridge and pickguard so i will be drilling a lot of pilot holes!

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

As some have said, candle wax or a soap bar is ideal for screws, especially into hardwoods, I used to own and work in a joinery shop and every bench had these 

Im not sure why i got stuck on the idea it had to be beeswax!

• Like 1

Pilot Holes...

Hole Deeper than the screw... Say a Machine Head Screw, drill the depth from the screw point, to the underside of the head... when you secure the machine head there will be a fraction of hole left of the machine head thickness... Same for the bridge... just make sure the hole doesn't go all the way through. If the hole isn't deep enough, it will bottom out and you will strip the head.

As for hole size... drill should be the size (dia) of the shank of the screw, thats less the threads, to small and it will be too tight, rounding the head it, too big and there will not be enough bite for the threads... this can depend on the hardness of the wood, I recommend a try in a scrap piece of wood.

Screwdriver... Cross head screws differ... Pozi, Phillips and JTS.

Use a good fitting screwdriver  i  also use a layer of plastic sandwich bag between screwdriver tip and screw (bolt head to socket...) to protect the finish.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Pilot Holes...

Hole Deeper than the screw... Say a Machine Head Screw, drill the depth from the screw point, to the underside of the head... when you secure the machine head there will be a fraction of hole left of the machine head thickness... Same for the bridge... just make sure the hole doesn't go all the way through. If the hole isn't deep enough, it will bottom out and you will strip the head.

As for hole size... drill should be the size (dia) of the shank of the screw, thats less the threads, to small and it will be too tight, rounding the head it, too big and there will not be enough bite for the threads... this can depend on the hardness of the wood, I recommend a try in a scrap piece of wood.

Screwdriver... Cross head screws differ... Pozi, Phillips and JTS.

Use a good fitting screwdriver  i  also use a layer of plastic sandwich bag between screwdriver tip and screw (bolt head to socket...) to protect the finish.

Awesome! I'll be going in soon!

When drilling your pilot holes put a piece of masking tape on the drill bit to mark your depth. Rather than wrapping it tightly just fold it in half to stick to itself. Then it will also clear the swarf from around the hole as it rotates. Keep backing the bit out as you drill - you want to keep the grooves clear for a nice clean hole.

Yes, drill bit the size of the screw shank excluding the thread, and a bit of normal candle wax.

Also make sure you use a screwdriver that fits the screw head properly. Some of those screws seem to be made out of cheese and mash/shear easily (I'm looking at your machine head screws Kluson!)

• Like 1