Why become a member? ×

Who's got a dedicated chair for practice?

ossyrocks

14 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I don't have a dedicated chair for practice, but I did adapt my home-office chair for music by removing the arm-rest things.

Yes, a good office type chair, without arms, is great for both practice and PC/DAW work.

I splashed out on an Orangebox Eva chair 'cos Covid / WFH and it's perfect .

• Like 2

I’d been meaning to get a drum stool for ages, for playing bass while sitting down, but only got one recently, when I bought a drum kit. It was £55 and carries my weight with no problems. Being height adjustable is very handy, because I just didn’t know, exactly, what height I would need.

I tend to have my strap the same length while sitting as when standing, allowing the bass to dangle between my legs. And I hold the bass at the same angle whether sitting or standing.

Something you might want to consider, is one of those little foot stool, thingumies. I find that one makes playing while sitting much more comfortable (I use it while doing other stuff, too, such as using my PC).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BALLSHOP-Footstool-Classical-Acoustic-Electric/dp/B08JLYYLNN/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I had to play much of our last gig sitting down due to the 1st bad back I've had in more than 10 years...

I couldn't find a handy stool, but I discovered that my Marshall Jubilee amp on top of Markbass 2x10 worked perfectly.

ChokedJamFac4-23.jpg

Your band looks cool, scary, loud, good! 
Two basses too!

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 16:34, ossyrocks said:

I need a chair for practice. I've been playing too long in the lounge on low chairs and sofas and it's affecting my right shoulder and elbow. Yes, I can stand to practice, but a couple of hours a night is a bit much.

I need to get some proper posture going on.

Who's got one, and what do you use?

I'm actually thinking of buying a Mapex Drum Throne with backrest !

Rob

You could go with standing up but restructure how you are practising and look at it as an opportunity to maximise the efficiency of your practising efforts.

It is generally accepted that most humans have maximum effectiveness of concentration over a relatively short period (about 20-30 mins), so if you practiced standing up, and enforced a 5-10 minute break where you put the bass down completely and do some stretches every 20-30 minutes and stop completely when you start feeling fatigued, you may well find that you can maximise the results from your practising while simultaneously being proactive about your posture and physical health.

K&M do good stools (I have the one @Happy Jack linked but without a backrest which I use mainly for playing double bass) but bear in mind that this isn't a magic bullet and you might gain more benefit from going to a beginner pilates/yoga class and working on your core muscles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnR said:

I bought a drum stool with backrest and replaced the base with one from an old office chair. It's perfect for me.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_dtrab1118_drummer_sitz_pneu.htm

IMG_1927.thumb.jpeg.b62dc5b005dd7a0c1e606daa4dd50852.jpeg

Dagnammit! Did you have to link that?

My derrière is murdering me right now after a session on the drums, and that throne looks a hell of a lot more comfortable than the one I’ve got. Though, to be fair, it is a medical issue, just being upright for more than a couple of hours hurts like hell.

But my wife would skin me alive right now, if I were to say that I wanted another stool!

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

It's a Millenium DTRAB-1118 Drum Stool £79 from Thomann. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_dtrab1118_drummer_sitz_pneu.htm

Very comfy and the pneumatic adjustment is great for on-the-fly changes. 

I’ve gone an ordered one now!

To “save on postage” I added a little something extra, to get it over the free postage threshold… I’ve ended up paying £174…

My wife was fine about it, but then she is in Spain at the moment.

My only worry, is that most pneumatic chairs don’t cater to people of my size. Even my special office chair big bigguns is only rated to 20st. Mind you, I’ve had it for years and it’s been fine.

Thanks to everyone for your input, it seems to be a topic that others have thought about too.

@SubsonicSimpleton you have some good suggestions. I’m 58, and well aware of my mortality these days, and the aging process on my joints. My other passion is food growing, so I do spend a lot of time inadvertently working on my core strength. I’m not overweight,  but more tall and lean. I do yoga every day, I have to, having had spinal surgery a few years ago.

I have opted for @JohnR’s suggestion of the drum throne. It does seem like a bargain, and exactly fits the bill. I can also fold it up and stash it away if I need to. It should be here next week, so I’ll report back and let you know if it’s any good for me.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 2

I use one of those race car computer chairs that was originally for using a PC but i find its too relaxed for longer periods on the bass and my back starts to ache a bit if i'm sitting upright on it. Sitting back into the chair means the bass lies at an angle.

Because of that i change between sitting and standing but i  do find playing a lot easier when sitting and have to rework some parts when standing.

This thread has made me realise i need a proper seat for practicing in/on.

I like the drum stool thing with small backrest.

Dave 

• Like 2

I play drums as well as bass so I use my Roc 'n Soc throne with a backrest. The backrest is essential for me otherwise I suffer badly. The throne is not cheap but I figured I would be using it for hours everyday so I'd get my moneys worth plus it is supremely comfortable. I also use it when I'm recording as it's the right height when I'm at the mixing desk. There might be cheaper alternatives but I certainly don't regret getting it and it seems like it'll outlast me.

• Like 2