Why become a member? ×

Adding Larger Side Dots.

My Sire M2 is great, or at least is becoming great. I have changed the machine heads for Hipshots and will soon put Kent Armstrong Claymore soap bars in. The final change I would like to make is to put larger, possible glow-in-th-dark dots on the side of the fingerboard. You might ask why? When I change from my Fender 21 fret to the M2 24 fret, they are positioned differently, and I cannot always locate the correct starting point. I know I should be able too, but I sometimes screw up when tired.

So is it easy and do the glow-in-th-dark dots work?

They work for me.

I made my own stickers to go on a couple of basses that didn't justify a Luminlay installation and they've worked out well.

A sheet of this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161417187491?var=460441492576&hash=item259536d0a3:g:l2MAAOSwd4tUDk3H

and a Hole Punch: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372487393099?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nWCK7uxFScC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=NXO8JSHoStK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE

Less that £10 and will make enough dots for the rest of your life. Works really well and you can make whatever size you like.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Are those the sort that dont need a UV torch to make them glow, so rely on light at a gig to glow ?

They will work either way. Leave the bass out in daylight and they will charge up. A UV torch charges them and they will also get a certain amount of charge from stage lights or the lights in a venue.

I must admit I tend to use a UV torch, cheep as chips on eBay, as it's more reliable but the luminous sheet I use is designed for making luminous signs, so does glow for quite a while.

• Like 2

Yup, i also have UV torch  ( not the nasty micro torch that use to come with Luminlays )  so will give your sheet stuff a whirl.

I think i get about  45 mins glow time from the bass i have with Luminlays already fitted, so if the sheet stuff lasts that long, then it's a bargain

15 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

So is it easy and do the glow-in-th-dark dots work?

Yes and, yes!

I’ve added Luminlay dots to several of my (unlined fretless) basses. After the first successful effort,  it’s a breeze. Take your time and prepare well and everything should be fine.

On dark stages they can be really helpful as sight reference points.

Ive fitted Luminlays to two of my basses. They’re very good. To be honest just the fact that they’re a little bigger than the ones they replaced and that they’re a nice bright colour is as important as the glow in the darl bit. I wouldn’t try to install myself unless you were quite confident in what you’re doing. The hardest bit is drilling the holes in exactly the right place. Using a Brad Point drill bit really helps with lining up. I made a couple of mistakes on my first one resulting in a couple of bits of the old markers still visible, but made a much better job with the second one. Good luck!

I found some glow in the dark dots in my spares box. Must have bought them a while back. They were already shaped as dots so didnt need cutting.

I fired up the UV wand, gave them a 30 second burst.  I waited , and 15 seconds later , they had stopped glowing.  I guess these need some permanent

source of light.  Not that good for me really.

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

I found some glow in the dark dots in my spares box. Must have bought them a while back. They were already shaped as dots so didnt need cutting.

I fired up the UV wand, gave them a 30 second burst.  I waited , and 15 seconds later , they had stopped glowing.  I guess these need some permanent

source of light.  Not that good for me really.

You could always do some proper lumpy ones, it'd be kind of like Braille.. 👍

• Haha 1

he might just get to like it after a while then you’ll be playing bass like Les Dawson play piano. Of course hopefully you realise that you have to be extremely proficient on the piano to play as badly as Les Dawson pretended. 

• Like 1