Why become a member? ×

Rig for sax

lownote

I know this is a bass forum, but just wondered if anyone else was a sax doubler and had thoughts on a small but useful amp/cab rig for mic'd up saxes and gigging.  I rerally don't think my MB410 and LM3 are appropriate. 

I've not experience with sax, but I'd imagine you want something pretty flat to retain the tone of the sax. In terms of a cab something like a Barefaced Big Baby 2 or 3 offers loads of output, is pretty much full range flat response and is very light and compact. I'm sure it with do a fab job of both bass and sax with the right head. 

• Like 1

My days of playing sax in bands was going back to the late 70s, and no doubt things have moved on, but wouldn't think you'd need a dedicated amp set up? 

I tried at the time one of those barcus berry "bug" things attached to the reed, and wired into the PA, in the end I didn't much like it, it was very shrill & clattery sounding, so I went back to just playing into a mic thru the PA which was good enough and what most people did.. (despite sax being a bit rare in bands at that time😁

If you put a mic'ed instrument through backline, it will feedback.

Go through the same PA that your singer etc (i.e. anyone/anything with a mic) is going through.

Or if there is no PA... I'm curious what the band line-up is and why/how it is so loud that you need to mic a sax.

I had a clip on Sennheiser mic and just went through the (enormous) PA with foldback monitors. Same as a vocalist. I imagine in-ears would also be good. Wouldn’t really be thinking about a backline amp for sax but I’ve seen floor monitor type amps that you can plug into and take a line out to the PA if you want wanted more control over monitoring. We had a sound engineer… no major problems, except when the trumpet player fell off the wagon.

2 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

I think BFM said all that needed saying in his post above. :)

Funny, I was just thinking everyone seems to be missing the point of the OPs post about having a rig that is good for bass and sax. How does "a combo intended for acoustic guitar" meet that intent? Or have I missed read the OPs question entirely? 

The mic is very important as well.

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

If you put a mic'ed instrument through backline, it will feedback

I'd hate to be in the same room where the sax was so loud it fed back via the sax while the sax player was blowing it! The sax player would be discombobulated all over the stage.

Any mic can feed back from backline amplifier through the PA but only if it's fed from the PA.

5 minutes ago, ukbassboy said:

Funny, I was just thinking everyone seems to be missing the point of the OPs post about having a rig that is good for bass and sax. How does "a combo intended for acoustic guitar" meet that intent? Or have I missed read the OPs question entirely? 

TBF the OP isn't properly specific about the application. You can read it as BFM did.

It's exceedingly rare for bass players to double on sax on the same gig so I was more thinking he wanted a do it all rig to replace all the other stuff.

It would be useful for the OP to chime back in.

21 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

It's exceedingly rare for bass players to double on sax on the same gig so I was more thinking he wanted a do it all rig to replace all the other stuff.

It would be useful for the OP to chime back in.

The only times I've played both bass and sax at the same gig was a couple of times where everyone switched instruments and we made up a kind of mad "support" band for ourselves, so I did one set on sax (with one of the others playing bass) then the main one with me on bass.. 

Other than that maybe a Prog type outfit might, with instrument role swapping type stuff going on. 

I certainly got the impression the OP was talking more sax than "doubling"