Why become a member? ×

Squier Rascal bass anyone?

Marvin

Mine arrived yesterday.

I have to say I'm genuinely happy with this purchase!

Build quality is good, even better then I expected. Tight fit and finish, and the neck feels great without sharp fret-ends. The neck feels a bit like a jazz profile to me. Action can be set low without any problems, so that's great.

I expected the tuners to be crappy, like on the cv '70s precision I've owned, but they are better (thicker blades) quality and run smooth. No need to change them so far .

The laurel fretboard looks pretty nice actually, it has some vertical striping that reminds me a bit of the pattern you'll find on some ebony fretboards. Lighter and cheaper though :). It looks like it could use a bit of oil, will take care of that tomorrow.

Soundwise it's a very interesting bass. Unplugged it's already pretty loud and resonant, which I take as a good sign.

The two pickups provide a lot of sound options. From the YouTube video's I've already heard that these pickups have a lot more presence and articulation, and it's indeed the case. I've owned a Fender modern player telecaster bass once, and it was way more muddy with it's two similar humbuckers.

With the neck pickup solood I'd say it still has a usable sound (you can still go to mud city using the tone knob), warm but still with enough presence. I think it would keep standing in a live situation. It's even a bit twangy in higher registers, very nice with a little bit of added drive.

The bridge pickup solood is nice as well.  Of course a bit brighter, but not thin. When played at the bridge it even does some snarly J-bass bridge pickup like sound. I think.

The both Pickups together sound full with the right amount of grunt and presence. A very usable and pleasant sound that I think could be usable in a wide range of styles.

For now I leave the rounds on (they come with Fender strings) as it actually sounds good as is. Though I'm sure some flats would be nice too. I have a set of Fender flats and Thomastiks in the drawer that are already cut for through body shortscale, so will give them a try soon. My feeling says the Thomastiks will be a great match.

All in all I can say this is just a well built, comfortably playing bass, with more versatility and presence that you would expect from a bass with these wide range humbuckers. And of course she looks great too.

I'll ad some pictures tomorrow. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Mine arrived yesterday.

I have to say I'm genuinely happy with this purchase!

Build quality is good, even better then I expected. Tight fit and finish, and the neck feels great without sharp fret-ends. The neck feels a bit like a jazz profile to me. Action can be set low without any problems, so that's great.

I expected the tuners to be crappy, like on the cv '70s precision I've owned, but they are better (thicker blades) quality and run smooth. No need to change them so far .

The laurel fretboard looks pretty nice actually, it has some vertical striping that reminds me a bit of the pattern you'll find on some ebony fretboards. Lighter and cheaper though :). It looks like it could use a bit of oil, will take care of that tomorrow.

Soundwise it's a very interesting bass. Unplugged it's already pretty loud and resonant, which I take as a good sign.

The two pickups provide a lot of sound options. From the YouTube video's I've already heard that these pickups have a lot more presence and articulation, and it's indeed the case. I've owned a Fender modern player telecaster bass once, and it was way more muddy with it's two similar humbuckers.

With the neck pickup solood I'd say it still has a usable sound (you can still go to mud city using the tone knob), warm but still with enough presence. I think it would keep standing in a live situation. It's even a bit twangy in higher registers, very nice with a little bit of added drive.

The bridge pickup solood is nice as well.  Of course a bit brighter, but not thin. When played at the bridge it even does some snarly J-bass bridge pickup like sound. I think.

The both Pickups together sound full with the right amount of grunt and presence. A very usable and pleasant sound that I think could be usable in a wide range of styles.

For now I leave the rounds on (they come with Fender strings) as it actually sounds good as is. Though I'm sure some flats would be nice too. I have a set of Fender flats and Thomastiks in the drawer that are already cut for through body shortscale, so will give them a try soon. My feeling says the Thomastiks will be a great match.

All in all I can say this is just a well built, comfortably playing bass, with more versatility and presence that you would expect from a bass with these wide range humbuckers. And of course she looks great too.

I'll ad some pictures tomorrow. 

Mine arrived today and totally agree, I love the colour too.

id be tempted to put flats on also- it’s a yes from me

• Like 4

A few pics that show the fit of the neck in the pocket and some fretboard figuring.

IMG_20230629_093915.thumb.jpg.81c0741245271f982ed0a34fdf62b876.jpgIMG_20230629_093905.thumb.jpg.41bcf3a0ecf802fdbf5ac85962e7a89f.jpgIMG_20230629_093900.thumb.jpg.1fa790871a10d5b3eb75d37ceafa0cb8.jpg

The fretboard was pretty dry, so I had apply a lot of oil. I will let it absorb and polish the fretboard again within a few weeks and add some more oil if needed.

I've changed the strings to Fender flats, because they were already cut for shortscale through body, and were in reach 🙂. It's a very good match. It still has some of the character as when fit with rounds, but just with a little more complexity.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I wish I was in some sort of band because I would definitely be ordering one. 

I can check with Squier if you want, but I'm pretty sure you're allowed to have one even if you're not in a band... ;)

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I can check with Squier if you want, but I'm pretty sure you're allowed to have one even if you're not in a band... ;)

It'd be wrong for it to sit in a case doing nothing though 😁

• Like 2

On 03/07/2023 at 08:44, asingardenof said:

Lobster has done a full review now and they sound niiiiice!

I'm very tempted by these but I'll need to try it out before I buy one. I've only had one short scale experience and it wasn't for me.

3 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

I'm very tempted by these but I'll need to try it out before I buy one. I've only had one short scale experience and it wasn't for me.

I have a Fender Rascal and it feels more like you're playing a 34" scale bass than something like a Fender Mustang. 

1 hour ago, BetaFunk said:

I have a Fender Rascal and it feels more like you're playing a 34" scale bass than something like a Fender Mustang. 

It was a Musicmaster I had. It all felt a bit too small. My worry is that the frets will feel too close together, and the position of the bridge is where I would normally put my hand on the likes of a P.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

It was a Musicmaster I had. It all felt a bit too small. My worry is that the frets will feel too close together, and the position of the bridge is where I would normally put my hand on the likes of a P.

I have to say that you automatically do that so you have to play a lot closer to the neck to avoid doing so repetitively and weirdly it then feels more like a short scale

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought one yesterday - slight impulse purchase whilst I was killing time in Bristol before seeing The Who! First impressions are good - though it is heavy. Had to go for the black, as apparently the Sherwood green is pretty much unobtainable. 

I'll probably swap the strings out for flats - anyone tried anything apart from Fenders? I normally go for La Bellas, but I wonder if they might be a little too vintage-sounding on this? I think this is going to be my go-to bass for gigs with the covers band where you're a bit worried about drunk people tripping over your gear, so it needs to have a fairly versatile sound. 

• Like 3