Why become a member? ×

Anyone know anything about Spectors?

Richard R

20230423_115203.thumb.jpg.0f276b5fdf1789fa8a6f0360e3d49ead.jpg

Turns out the lead guitarist at church used to play bass when he was a yoof, and brought this along this morning.  He's borrowed it from his old church, where it's sat unplayed for ages.

Can anyone identify the model?

Estimate it was purchased about 15 years ago, guess would have been no more than £300 new. The back is nicely chamfered and it's two EMG HiZ pickups.  Not sure on what the knobs do, but when I collect it to set it up I will find out.

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1

I was going to say Q4 Pro like mine, but these have a flat back body, so I'd go wuth Korean Legend too. 

Those late 90s, early noughties Korean Spectors are superb, the finish is fantastic, they play so easily and a pallete of tones. 

I know I shouldn't but being a generous old fool I've £50 for it😉

Thanks all!

I'll send the ident chart over and see if it's bolt on or set neck, that should settle it, and get the s/n if it is on the headstock. 

Where can we source new gold knobs, and what's the current value of the bass likely to be? 

The price range of Spectors, understandably, varies depending on the model. Top of the range are £3k+, entry models change hands for anything between £100-250. The through neck/ set neck versions are more desirable. 

The NS2000 is very desirable and under-rated IMO - I had two which I should never have sold during one of my down sizing periods  - I don't know why I bother, I just spend the money from the sales on more gear. Think £300-500 depending on condition.

On 23/04/2023 at 20:40, Richard R said:

20230423_115203.thumb.jpg.0f276b5fdf1789fa8a6f0360e3d49ead.jpg

Turns out the lead guitarist at church used to play bass when he was a yoof, and brought this along this morning.  He's borrowed it from his old church, where it's sat unplayed for ages.

Can anyone identify the model?

Estimate it was purchased about 15 years ago, guess would have been no more than £300 new. The back is nicely chamfered and it's two EMG HiZ pickups.  Not sure on what the knobs do, but when I collect it to set it up I will find out.

V nice bass! Looks like an early 2000's Legend. Enjoy!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, prowla said:

Interesting - so it's a licensed model.

I have a Performer (by Spector), which doesn't mention licensed.

It's just the wording on the back of the headstock changed at different far east factories.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I saw a licensed SX model recently.  I didn't know that the design was out for license.

That's more of a copy of the Warwick (pickup placement, bridge etc).... which is a copy of Ned Steinberger's Spector NS2.

On 24/04/2023 at 16:15, Richard R said:

IMG-20230424-WA0002.thumb.jpg.a61232d347beff122eced7271febe1a7.jpg

Spot on! If I email Spector,  will they tell me the date of manufacture?

I've been told, but I ain't sure, Eskimo...

There is no decoder to break out the year etc for Korean Spectors, love to be proved wrong though. 😎

You can roughly get an idea on the FB Spector group as they trying to get an idea for when a serial number v year was bought....from xxxx to xxxx probably x year etc. 

• Thanks 1