Why become a member? ×

What's in a name?

snorkie635

When I went to join the website about 5 years ago, I registered using my Hotmail email address.  Basschat told me that I had already registered using that address, so I got the system to remind me of my username. 

Bass Dinger - who knew! Certainly not me...

I suspect that I picked that name because at the time I had recently put a dent (a ding) in my then-new acoustic bass guitar. 

I wish that I had chosen something better. 

And it amuses me that @Bassfingeris only one letter different!

• Haha 2

Btw @snorkie635 thanks so much for starting this.. 👿.. I've now been down the deep rabbit hole of the Banana Splits on YouTube , have the theme tune forever in my head, and have been tying to freeze frame the grainy footage of the intro to work out exactly what "groovy" 60s guitars the characters in furry costumes are dancing around with..One seems to be a Vox teardrop shape semi acousti.......................

shakinghead.gif

• Haha 1

BillyBass, or Big Mouth Billy Bass is the singing fish thing that was on the Sopranos, and other telly programmes.

My usual forum name is HillBilly (because I used to live in Muswell Hill).  That was taken so I had to think up a new name and this was the first thing to come into my head.  Probably not a good idea as when I signed up for TalkBass, it was taken, as was HillBilly, so I thought of a very English name for that site, which the Americans would not have taken: 'Git'.  So if you see 'Git' on TalkBass, with Vivian from the Young Ones as the avatar, that's me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My Basschat name is a portmanteau contraction of my real fist name, Horatio, and then the obvious subjunctive clause that ties in with Horatio, i.e. Nelson, not to be confused with the half-Nelson wrestling move although that connection is suggested in the seventh syllable of the second word of my forum name ng as that is the Icelandic Braille symbol for 0.5. People have commented on the (possibly subconscious) self-negation inherent in my username although if it is expressed in characters from the periodic table it is actually commensurate with the ancient Egyptian hieroglyph..

𓀍

...seated man holding the table lamp of authority and royal aerial  which (obviously) conveys a sense of friendship combined with the faint whiff of ironic pathos.

Frank Blank in a nutshell, there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

My Basschat name is a portmanteau contraction of my real fist name, Horatio, and then the obvious subjunctive clause that ties in with Horatio, i.e. Nelson, not to be confused with the half-Nelson wrestling move although that connection is suggested in the seventh syllable of the second word of my forum name ng as that is the Icelandic Braille symbol for 0.5. People have commented on the (possibly subconscious) self-negation inherent in my username although if it is expressed in characters from the periodic table it is actually commensurate with the ancient Egyptian hieroglyph..

𓀍

...seated man holding the table lamp of authority and royal aerial  which (obviously) conveys a sense of friendship combined with the faint whiff of ironic pathos.

And here I was thinking it was an homage to the musician - post Pixies.

Mark

• Confused 1

We had a thread, but I can't find it right now, so ...
"Tractor" means "player". Etymology: Latin "trahere" ("to pull") to English "to treat", "a treat" and "a treaty".
More should be said better here.

I'm also the BassTractor coz when working at a farming school I got a call from a farmer whose tractor was stuck in the mud on a bad field.
Found the largest, heaviest 4WD tractor I could find, spent time taking off equipment and re-equipping it with snow chains and towing cable and whatnot ...

Arrived at the field and was to engage the 4WD and ...  no lever!
Flabbergasted, and it took time before I understood we had two versions of the same model, and I'd taken the 2WD. No way that thing would pull out the farmer's one.
Sigh.
Back to the garage, time-consumingly de-equip the 2WD and de-equip and re-equip the 4WD, and back to the field ...

Story came out, and one of my pupils drily called me BassTractor as opposed to BaritoneTractor etc.
It stuck.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

When I went to join the website about 5 years ago, I registered using my Hotmail email address.  Basschat told me that I had already registered using that address, so I got the system to remind me of my username. 

Bass Dinger - who knew! Certainly not me...

I suspect that I picked that name because at the time I had recently put a dent (a ding) in my then-new acoustic bass guitar. 

I wish that I had chosen something better. 

And it amuses me that @Bassfingeris only one letter different!

You should offer a relicing service on here.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

𓀍

I hate to raise this, but... There is a fatal problem with your Icelandic, and I'd refer you to Snorri Sturlusson and the Prose Edda, particularly the Skaldskaparmal.. You're failing to take account of the correct Skadlic meter.. 

When properly translated your name should in fact appear as   Frank Plank

( hth ) 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

𓀍

I thought so. Would Frank Blank (sic) not make you Frank White? I know you - don't you work in the laundrette up the road? 🤔

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, BassTractor said:

We had a thread, but I can't find it right now, so ...
"Tractor" means "player". Etymology: Latin "trahere" ("to pull") to English "to treat", "a treat" and "a treaty".
More should be said better here.

I'm also the BassTractor coz when working on a farming school I got a call from a farmer whose tractor was stuck in the mud on a bad field.
Found the largest, heaviest 4WD tractor I could find, spent time taking off equipment and re-equipping it with snow chains and towing cable and whatnot ...

Arrived at the field and was to engage the 4WD and ...  no lever!
Flabbergasted, and it took time before I understood we had two versions of the same model, and I'd taken the 2WD. No way that thing would pull out the farmer's one.
Sigh.
Back to the garage, time-consumingly de-equip the 2WD and de-equip and re-equip the 4WD, and back to the field ...

Story came out, and one of my pupils drily called me BassTractor as opposed to BaritoneTractor etc.
It stuck.

"It stuck'. I see what you did there. 👍😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I hate to raise this, but... There is a fatal problem with your Icelandic, and I'd refer you to Snorri Sturlusson and the Prose Edda, particularly the Skaldskaparmal.. You're failing to take account of the correct Skadlic meter.. 

When properly translated your name should in fact appear as   Frank Plank

( hth ) 

Starring Eric Sykes and Tommy Cooper. Brilliant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

There's often confusion with who's in The Plank, Eric Sykes swapped his role in a subsequent version with Arthur Lowe, Sykes taking the Cooper part (  I think! ) 

I'm dying to know why you're Waddo Soqable...spill the beans! (please)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

My real name is actually Rumplestiltskin, but you try telling that to some smart arsed copper when you get a tug in your battered BMW 3 series... 

Some mysteries are best left to the imagination I suppose...

Mine comes from the username I thought up when I joined Talkbass many years ago. My middle name is actually Miles and I was really into the Miles Davis album Milestones when I started learning upright.

So, miles'tone = tone of Miles (me, not him) because no matter what kind of bass guitar I play, I always sound inescapably like me.

Saying that, this hasn't stopped me from spending a small fortune by ignoring the evidence whilst trying unsuccessfully to disprove the theory! 😂

• Like 1