Why become a member? ×

Anyone got tips for removal of light scratches from pickguards?

snorkie635

My bass-playing son uses a plectrum (I don't). He 'borrows' my basses occasionally and black scratchplates, especially, can appear a bit worse for wear when the bass comes back. Just wondered if there's a miracle cure out there? Thanks folks.

Snork

16 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Whitening toothpaste buffed put can work. It’s a mild abrasive and works, but obviously at your own risk. While cutting compounds used on cars can be used to buff finishes, they don’t work on pickguards in my experience. 

Thanks for this one

I know I'm new here and everything, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm crossing a line of some sort … but isn't this the exact job of the item? Isn't the clue in the name? Pickguard/scratchplate. No? 🤔

Mark

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LowB_FTW said:

I know I'm new here and everything, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm crossing a line of some sort … but isn't this the exact job of the item? Isn't the clue in the name? Pickguard/scratchplate. No? 🤔

Mark

Fair comment !.. Tho they get a bit beyond it sometimes, the one I re-polished looked totally shlte before and quite decent after, so worth giving it a go. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LowB_FTW said:

Mark

You are, of course, correct. It's my OCD KICKING IN. 😁

29 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I buffed a very scratchy looking pg with T-cut, which is usually pretty good on its own.. I also in this case used a very soft foam mop / disc thing on a cordless drill to assist. Restored the pg to a pretty good finish  

Interesting ... ...

10 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I got the little foam mop thing from a bloke I know who does car stuff, probably made for that kind of work, he was buffing up scratched plastic headlamp "glasses" with it

Every day is a school day. I'd never heard of that before. Ta muchly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

How about covering it in black carbon car wrap? I've done a few and they look great and protect the finish underneath. Back to pristine in minutes.

Pretty cheap on eBay.

Wow, Never thought of that one. Once again, thanks.

• Like 1