Why become a member? ×

Help getting Bass from Warwick to Lichfield.

BassBunny

A big ask by wonder if anyone can help me get a bass from Bristol.

Firstly it's not an expensive one, so many and van is out. 

Secondly the seller doesn't have a box and doesn't drive, so a trip to PMT to try and blah a box is out.

Does anyone in Bristol have a suitable box they could drop round so he can package up for a courier? It could be a guitar sized box and it can be packaged neck off.

Failing that does anyone travel to Bristol from the North? I am looking to get it to South Manchester or as near as.

Edited by BassBunny

29 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

A big ask by wonder if anyone can help me get a bass from Bristol.

Firstly it's not an expensive one, so many and van is out. 

Secondly the seller doesn't have a box and doesn't drive, so a trip to PMT to try and blah a box is out.

Does anyone in Bristol have a suitable box they could drop round so he can package up for a courier? It could be a guitar sized box and it can be packaged neck off.

Failing that does anyone travel to Bristol from the North? I am looking to get it to South Manchester or as near as.

I travel to Bristol every other week (will be there next weekend) and could get the bass up to South Birmingham/ Warwick M40 if needs be?

44 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

IMO that's a bit of a cop-out. I don't drive either, but have never had any problem walking 2 miles into town (here in Nottingham) and going to one of the Bicycle shops and picking up a bike box, sometimes I'll even walk back carrying it rather than catching the bus. Bike boxes are much better than the typical guitar box for strength and rigidity and overall protection of the contents. They do need cutting down to size, but you can use the surplus material as additional packaging and bracing.

For me getting a suitable box for sending the instrument is an essential part of the selling process.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I travel to Bristol every other week (will be there next weekend) and could get the bass up to South Birmingham/ Warwick M40 if needs be?

Awesome and with an offer of Lichfield to Holmes Chapel, just need Warwick to Lichfield.

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IMO that's a bit of a cop-out. I don't drive either, but have never had any problem walking 2 miles into town (here in Nottingham) and going to one of the Bicycle shops and picking up a bike box, sometimes I'll even walk back carrying it rather than catching the bus. Bike boxes are much better than the typical guitar box for strength and rigidity and overall protection of the contents. They do need cutting down to size, but you can use the surplus material as additional packaging and bracing.

For me getting a suitable box for sending the instrument is an essential part of the selling process.

I know what you are saying but it's the sellers perogative and I don't know his personal circumstances.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

If it's of any help and you could get a Basschat relay going I would be happy to do a leg from Lichfield'ish (so close to the M42, M6 and A38) to the Holmes Chapel area around the 14th April.

Awesome. If I can get Warwick to Lichfield covered it could work.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I have two kids and run two businesses. I fully respect someone not wanting to bother with this. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I have two kids and run two businesses. I fully respect someone not wanting to bother with this. 

And as someone who has sold basses and guitars, if I didn't want to bother with this I would either state specifically "collection only" or just sell locally and make no exceptions. If you want to reach a wider audience and have better chance of selling for a higher price, then you have to take the fact that you will need to sort out the postage and packing into account.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

And as someone who has sold basses and guitars, if I didn't want to bother with this I would either state specifically "collection only" or just sell locally and make no exceptions. If you want to reach a wider audience and have better chance of selling for a higher price, then you have to take the fact that you will need to sort out the postage and packing into account.

I've read the post above, and that seems to be exactly what the seller has said.  All your points are valid, but I'm one of those people for whom it makes no sense to waste an hour or two of my day getting a box to send a guitar – and perhaps the original poster is too. This is compounded by the fact that not a week goes by when someone isn't on here moaning about how a courier has smashed up a bass. 

You may be able to spare a good few hours to trek into town (and Nottingham isn't a bad place, granted), but sometimes people don't. 

I've had several people send me rude emails and messages because I didn't want to send something. I've also had people on ebay buy stuff than ask me to send it when I had explicitly said I wouldn't. 

• Like 2

• BassBunny changed the title to Help getting Bass from Warwick to Lichfield.