Why become a member? ×

NBD - ACG Recurve Fretless

Stuart1982

Hi folks

It’s always a good day when a new bass comes into the fold. I know many members here on Basschat will be aware of the extraordinary instruments built by Alan Cringean of AC Guitars based in Dumfries, Scotland. 

I have 3 ACG basses already however this is my first fretless and with many hours spent on this bass I just wanted to comment on how glorious it is. 

This Recurve model is built using Turkish walnut top with gold resin on a swamp ash body. The neck is an ebony fingerboard on an ash/wenge neck. The pickups are an ACG FB Humbucker at the neck and an ACG BZ1 pickup at the bridge. This is my first time using the BZ1 pickup and it’s the best pickup I’ve ever heard. It delivers such a rich, solid and versatile tone that compliments the FB humbucker perfectly. 

The preamp is the ACG Dual Filter Modular 4k type. Volume, blend and low pass filter control for each pickup allowing for very accurate and versatile adjustment of tone which I’ve found extremely useful playing in different venues with varying acoustics.

The DFM developed between ACG and John East has recently been made available separately so if you’re in the market for a filter preamp the quality and versatility of the ACG DFM is in my opinion the best. Hardware is by Gotoh and I opted for a mix of gold and black hardware to go with the gold walnut body which I think goes pretty well. 

The playability is exceptional. It’s a lined fretless with Luminlay dots on the side of the neck. The ebony fingerboard provides a wonderful balance of both warmth and brightness delivering  all that luscious fretless mwah you could hope for. The strings are Dunlop flatwounds. Ive never used them before but so far I’m really enjoying them. 

I’m not sponsored or affiliated with ACG in anyway I just think that the instruments Alan builds are world class plus he has always been extremely responsive to any questions or queries I’ve had. I can’t fault the customer service at all. Alan is an absolute gent. 

If you’re in the market for a custom build have a good look through the ACG website on builds and options. Alan also does some stock builds which does take some of the pain out of trying to make your mind up on the various custom options available. 

ACG basses are world class in every department so If you’re aiming for a custom bass then seriously consider trying one out. Just be warned once you start it’s hard to stop 😀

Loving this bass is an understatement really. It’s exquisite and I can’t thank Alan enough for it. Enjoy the pics. 

Cheers 
Stuart

43D5400B-4A64-4C3A-9D31-5BAC2198790B.jpeg

2D170607-C5A1-4954-AF45-591C6655D356.jpeg

8D20E65F-8745-4E1B-AB12-E3226D1C6EBE.jpeg

2CDB169E-F315-4D71-A858-63B5AA14C8DD.jpeg

42D75131-365C-4934-BC67-FE18FC7FFC18.jpeg

699201D2-C455-4C6A-B9E8-885CDB5D7916.jpeg

14AD8FC3-4F5C-41C1-A2BA-529872B2B703.jpeg

FD03832B-5AF6-46F8-B03E-EAD5287A8DB3.jpeg

3D8B6FC4-C21F-4D5D-A252-F199E011E595.jpeg

• Like 30

• 1 month later...

Looks great! Very wise choice on ordering an ACG!

I'm another massive advocate for Alan's basses... I currently have 5, but have owed another 5 that got moved on purely because they had less than 6 strings! 

Absolutely top end build quality - some basses may equal an ACG, but none are better IMHO.

• Like 3