Why become a member? ×

Ben Harper 'Steal My Kisses' tab anyone....?

Beedster

Anyone got a tab to the above? Looks like we're gigging it in two weeks and having only heard the track once I might need a tab to get to grips with it. There's a few online but I have no idea whether they're any good so I'd be grateful if one of you guys could sterr me on this.

On a seperate issue, the one day likely to be Mrs Beedster told me about the time she and her then boyfriend, a g**tarist, met Ben Harper in a pub in Canterbury and shared a night of serious boozing with the dude. I was quite impressed. Anyway, a year or so back we're watching 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' and there he is, doing a couple of numbers. I said "bring back any memories?" and she looked a bit clueless.

Turns out it was Roy Harper she went boozing with. I must admit, it's hard to tell them apart :)

After watching Ben Harper on the SITSOM film, I'd certainly have been surprised if anyone had said they'd had a good night out with the bloke.

I love that film and watch it regularly, but for some reason always fast forward the bit where he speaks, and the following poor Marvin Gaye impersonation he gives....

He just comes across as way too serious and boring to me. I prefer the numerous bits where the old guys are having a lark about and giggling like school kids!

Steal Your Kisses is a groove-song man, have a listen, look at the (3) chords and play what you wanna play :)

Juan plays some mean licks on it, but live he never plays it the same, great song to mess about with!

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have this solo tabbed for a friend of mine, but I can send you it no probs if you still need it :)

It is NOT from any crappy bass tablature on the Interwebs and is the solo which is on the Steal my Kisses single.

Like SIbob says tho, that clever bugger Juan Nelson never plays it the same way twice..but it's still a cool solo and sounds great live.

I'll leave the rest of the song to you, but if you want to check something against 'my' version then just reply here or email me.

Amafi

Well we gigged it last night and I don't think I've ever blagged a bass part to that extreme in over 25 years of playing, a function of a) not having prepared fully and :rolleyes: doing it on fretless! All this was made worse by the singer deciding to double the length of the bass break with no warning! Amazingly a few people came up to me afterwards and said they loved the bass line; I assume "loose and Jazzy" is a compliment :)
Gonna do some work on it though as it's a real fun song to play
Cheers for the above guys
Chris

Glad to hear it went well, such a fun song to play, you can't really do anything wrong....it's that kinda groove :)

This is a great live version of the song by the guys themselves (if you haven't seen it already), with an extended bass break :rolleyes:

Si

• 13 years later...
8 hours ago, Doddy said:

Wasn't he playing MTD Basses around that time? I seem to remember him being pictured using them on the cover of Bass Player Magazine back then.

Thought he was a Fender J 5 man. Dunno. Whenever I saw him play, he seemed to be on something j5 flavoured.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, ChrisDev said:

Dots and tabs for the studio version: https://basslessons.be/transcriptions.php?i=77

Wow, just wow, many thanks Chris, I've really struggled with some sections - and as you can see from the O/P for over 13 years - so this is going to make my life so much easier! Much appreciated. Chris 👍

• Like 1