Why become a member? ×

Righty to lefty

Need a bit of advice. 

I bought my wife a squire lefty strat when she wanted to learn guitar and it really is a stunning bit of art that decorates that corner of the room splendidly. 
She now wants to learn Bass. I would love it if she did but if it goes the same way then I’m thinking it’ll end up in my collection. 

I was thinking Höfner shorty, a violin bass, something flipped around to suit the purpose. 

my question is would it be easy to do? I imagine I’d have to change the nut. Try and get something with less controls, think of where the straps fit. 

is there anything I’m missing, is this just a daft idea. I really don’t want to shell out bucks if she doesn’t use it. (If she does I’d happily buy her something else.)

thanks for reading, appreciate any help.

happy wife is a happy life n that. 

A hofner Violin wouldn't be a bad choice for such mod. The strap is already on the heal (assuming you go for an Ignition, which the 'lowest' model)

You have to replace/flip the nut.

The bridge would need the fret-like pieces moving - very simple.

The biggest challenge would moving the control panel, by cutting a new hole on the other side and putting a blank or whatever on the existing hole.  That said, if you/she plays finger style I doubt the controls we be in the way anyway.

Not sure why anything needs to be flipped?

I won't bang on about readily-available lefty basses as I'm sure you already know all about them, but a whole generation (and then some) of lefty bassists simply played a righty bass upside down.

You can either learn to play with the E at the bottom or - more sensibly IMHO - reverse the nut so the E can go at the top.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Not sure why anything needs to be flipped?

I won't bang on about readily-available lefty basses as I'm sure you already know all about them, but a whole generation (and then some) of lefty bassists simply played a righty bass upside down.

You can either learn to play with the E at the bottom or - more sensibly IMHO - reverse the nut so the E can go at the top.

I was just meaning I’d flip the guitar to upside down. 

I think the violin is probably the best best and just reverse the nut. 

although I’ve just looked and there is a hofner lefty for £300 so I might put that to her and see what she thinks. 
worse comes to worse, I play that upside down 🤣

Cheers guys. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

That is a very valid point. They're absolutely horrid things to play.

Violin basses and Steinberger Spirit basses - both dreadful, in different ways. I've got one of both and I keep them because they're so distinctive and look good in my collection, but I don't play them.

So if @Damnthatlazlo would like his other half to learn to play bass and not dump the instrument within weeks, he should buy one that's a joy to play, if an inexpensive one. In my opinion that rules out anything by Fender/Squier (big, horrible, heavy, non-ergonomic pieces of cr@p) but leaves a choice of alternatives that don't break the bank.

Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it. 

I decided to show her some basses and ask her what she liked the look of. What bass can she see herself actually playing. 

Next step is getting her to hold it and see if it’s comfortable like Silvia says. 
Ironically she’s picked out mostly P bass styles. 

I have a feeling we might end up with a shorty. We have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and they are both lefty! So it might be an idea getting something they will eventually hit as well. 

This is a way to spend time together when we get very little. 
we spent an our looking at basses last night after she watched me fit a new bridge to my mim jazz. Which tbh is possibly the best hour of the week. 

anyway I digress, but thanks for all the input. 🙌

• Like 1

On 22/03/2023 at 10:32, Damnthatlazlo said:

Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it. 

I decided to show her some basses and ask her what she liked the look of. What bass can she see herself actually playing. 

Next step is getting her to hold it and see if it’s comfortable like Silvia says. 
Ironically she’s picked out mostly P bass styles. 

I have a feeling we might end up with a shorty. We have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and they are both lefty! So it might be an idea getting something they will eventually hit as well. 

This is a way to spend time together when we get very little. 
we spent an our looking at basses last night after she watched me fit a new bridge to my mim jazz. Which tbh is possibly the best hour of the week. 

anyway I digress, but thanks for all the input. 🙌

Lefty Ibanez GSRM20L Mikro Bass?

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/gsrm20l_1p_02.html

It features a just 28.6" scale length, which is 1.4" shorter than the 30" scale length most commonly used and pretty much otherwise standard for short scale basses, but I love mine and it has been my main for the last past several years (Though I did upgrade the pickups, even if the stock ones are actually pretty decent, but still probably this bass's weakest link), also this would make it perfect for your children, if they should find interest in learning how to play bass at some point as well.

Here's a random Google image of the left hand version (the left hand version only comes in this finish) :

51HA57CbR2L._AC_SL1486_.jpg

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I have an ibanez mikro lefty and it is very light and comfortable so would be great for kids too. I was looking at an epiphone eb0 as an option for flipping from right to left initially.

The Mikro would get my vote though because it is really nice (had to get mine off gumtree though).

• Like 1

Silvia mentioned an Ibanez above. The mikro has been a bass that’s came up a lot over last 3 months in all I’m reading and I keep meaning to look but forget. It also doesn’t get flung up on the selling part of my google feeds.

I did see a really nice Ibanez on here going cheap but it’s nowhere near me. 

I quite fancy getting myself a micro. after picking up a duo sonic,  i love it more than any guitar I’ve had. 
 So I’m in two minds about getting myself a shorty. I’m not snobby about shorty’s. If I had my choice of any bass it would be a musicmaster or mustang (yeah I know, but offsets appeal to my wonkyness.) I’ve been playing 25 years and just always stuck to my jazz or mm. I don’t know what my fear is. 

anyway, sorry I digress. 

I bought her the Harley Benton p bass. If she doesn’t get with the feel of it, then I can return it and try something else. The reviews are good, it’s meant to be light and I’ve got odd bits kicking around to upgrade it if need be. 

cheers guys. I’ll let you know how she gets on. 

• Like 1