Why become a member? ×

Affection for my basses

Since my previous post I’ve come to the realisation that I needed smaller lighter instruments so have bought a couple of Fender JMJ Mustang Basses and I get a great deal of enjoyment playing these. The first one I bought I feel incredibly attached to already as I feel it’s given me a new lease of life in playing, realistically I probably would have had to stop playing in bands without making this move.

• Like 4

I look at my basses affectionately and have an emotional connection to them, especially my black Japanese Fender Jazz. I remember the day like it was yesterday my dad taking me to Nova Guitar centre in 1988 aged 18 to buy it for me. I had no idea what he was buying for me but it was an upgrade over my Tokai Jazz that I had at the time. I remember that night not being able to use it at my second ever gig, a civic hall gig in front of a few hundred and being devastated at not being able to play my new bass as the stage lights kept making it go out of tune. Now move on 35 years and it's still with me, incredibly beaten up but better than ever with bartolini pickups and a Shuker fretless neck. When I look at it, my entire music career is in that bass, playing at Brixton Academy, tonnes of recording sessions, two John Peel sessions, Radio 1 roadshows, Virgin Radio live sessions, 1000's of gigs and tours, recording my first album after getting signed, being in a promo video for ELO, tour dates with Paul Weller, European gigs and so much more. Most of all though, my dad bought it for me but passed away, never seeing any of my music career and what I achieved with that bass. So it may just be a chunk of wood but its a very special chunk of wood.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2023 at 11:06, Old Horse Murphy said:

So I've recently managed to condense my bass collection down to four basses, one of which I've had for over 30 years and the others that have been relatively recent acquisitions. 

While having a quick play with them yesterday I had a familiar warm fuzzy feeling that I usually get when I'm with old mates and have had a few beers. It was a feeling of genuine affection for them and one that I've never really had before with all the (many many) basses I've owned previously.

Should I be worried?  Is this the end of the road for me in terms of buying and selling? I may need to phone my doctor on Monday for an appointment and for all your sakes (and for the sake of the economy) I really hope it's not contagious. I'm thinking of changing our house name to Dunbuyin. 

Please think of me in your prayers tonight. 

18399927-CFE0-417A-9B91-FEEA81246E53.jpeg

That gold Sandberg (?) is *chef's kiss*

• Thanks 1