Why become a member? ×

Using 2 different basses into 1 amp input

oldslapper

Using a double bass and electric bass into one amp input question.

In the past I’ve had EA and Genz amps with 2 inputs, but I like my current head.

I’m looking at the Ashdown bass exchange, or a mini mixer I already own. 

Any other suggestions plz?

thanks.

John 

For any sort of doubling (or tripling), hard to beat the Boss LS-2 with its level matching and multiple routing options in a compact form.

Or in particular for upright, consider one of the EBS pedals - the Stanley Clarke Acoustic or the MicroBass 3.  They do more than you've asked for, but I found them very good and I was able to replace some of my other existing gear and streamline my doubling setup.

• Like 3

I'm doing the same thing - doubling up with bass guitar and upright (usually my EUB these days). I had an "A-B BOX ABS-520" for a while. It's like other ABY pedals - but it has separate level contols for each input. Of course, EQ may be quite different for each instrument. However, it's tiny & lightweight, so may be OK for some scenarios.

I recently bought an EBS Micro Bass pedal from this very forum. It's an ABY, but with a built-in pre-amp. This seems ideal - but there are lots of dials & buttons on it, and it'll take a wee while to get used to. (I keep setting the wrong EQ to the wrong channel - Doh!)

My favourite solution though, was getting my MarkBass EVO1 head. It has 2 separate channels, with separate EQ controls, plus some pre-set amp tones, and I really like it. The only downside for me is that it lacks illumination on the control panel, and tweaking the controls on a dark stage can be challenging. This solution for me though, is my favourite. The EBS Micro Bass pedal is my reserve plan, or for when I'm travelling light, or without an amp.

Edited by Marc S
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating.

I routinely double with DB and electric at every Damo & The Dynamites gig, and I own quite literally every suggestion that has been made above! 😂

Oh yes, and an EA Doubler head, of course. 

Of all the solutions I've tried, I like the MicroBass II by far the best.

I use the DI to the board for my bass signal and also to get 48V phantom power (no need for a power supply or a battery, though of course I keep a battery in there just in case), and the Line Out to the Trace Elf which drives my Crazy 8 for stage monitoring.

I put the DB through Channel A and the electric through Channel B, set my levels at sound check, and thereafter I have no need to touch the unit except to use the foot selector & mute buttons. Similarly, since the Elf is essentially 'fire & forget', it lives on the floor under the old PA tripod I use to raise the Crazy 8 to ear level.

This arrangement allows me to have instant access to each bass, preset to the correct level, without groping around for the right button on the front of the head. Once I'm up and running with the first number of the evening I can just forget about it and focus on reducing my error-score for the evening. It also means that no valuable real estate on top of the PA case is being used by my bass rig.

"This seems ideal - but there are lots of dials & buttons on it, and it'll take a wee while to get used to." True, but almost all of them, on close inspection, are either easily-ignored or (again) fire & forget. Apart from maybe the Boost control for Ch.A or the Drive control for Ch.B I can't imagine what else you would want to be tweaking after soundcheck.

• Thanks 1